Chapter 21: To Love and Forgive

CHAPTER SUMMARY: It's Team Captain America vs Team Iron Man, resulting in a heartbreaking truth of Howard Stark's death at the hands of the Winter Soldier. Will it tear everyone apart and sever the bond between Bucky and Vicky forever?

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is a heavy chapter with some TRIGGER WARNINGS: Murder and brainwashing.

Everlasting Love from Brooklyn

Chapter 21: To Love and Forgive

In a huge abandoned warehouse, Bucky starts to awaken groggily, looking with shock to find his metal arm clamped in a huge industrial vice, wondering what was going on. He glanced over to see Vicky sitting off to the side on the ground, unable to see her face which worried him. "V-Vicky?"

Both Sam and Vicky turned at hearing his voice. "Hey, Cap!" Sam called out, getting his friends attention.

"Bucky, is it you?" Vicky asked, looking him over carefully, standing up as Steve joined by their side.

He groaned with pain before nodding, acknowledging Steve's presence. "Steve."

"Which Bucky are we talking to?" The older brother asked.

Recalling a memory of the twins perfectly, a warm smile came to his face. "Your mom's name was Sarah...You used to wear newspapers in your shoes." He chuckled, referring to Steve. "And as for you, you'd get mad anytime Steve or I followed you on one of your dates." They were always protective of Vicky, even before Bucky realized his feelings for her.

The Rogers twins exchanged knowing smiles with each other. "Can't read that in a museum."

"Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?" Sam asked with disbelief.

Bucky looked up at them, sadly asking. "What did I do?"

"Enough." Steve replied.

He sighed, giving a look that broke Vicky's heart. "Oh, God, I knew this would happen. Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words."

"Who was he?"

"I don't know."

"People are dead. The bombing, the setup. The doctor did all that just to get 10 minutes with you. I need you to do better than "I don't know.""

"He wanted to know about Siberia. Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where."

"Why would he need to know that?"

Bucky's blue eyes locked onto the twins with regret and guilt. "Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier."

Pulling out the red book from inside her jacket, Vicky noticed how Bucky's eyes filled with horror, almost flinching at the sight of the book alone. "He used this book on you? I saw the words. They are some sort of activation code."

"Where did you get that?" Steve asked, going to grab it out of her hands, but Vicky stopped him.

"I stole it from the person behind all this, whoever he is."

"Please, don't read it." he begged her. "That's the book full of every terrible crime I've done. I don't want you to see it."

Putting it back into her coat pocket, Vicky nodded, starting to help Bucky out of the vice he arm was trapped in. "I was planning to burn it actually. I promised to protect you after all, but first, what's this about you not being the only Winter Soldier? Who were they?"

"Their most elite death squad. More kills than anyone in HYDRA history. And that was before the serum."

"They all turn out like you?" Sam asked, standing beside Steve.