Chapter 6

"I was a king!" Loki said, and Hannah was sure he would be bristling if he had fur.

Nyneve had given them the living room to talk in after Hannah had explained she was there to help Loki the same way as Nyneve was. He'd somewhat reluctantly agreed to the session, but Hannah couldn't say that he was truly willing, according to his body language.

"I actually have no advice for that, but continue, please."

"The rightful king of Asgard, betrayed."

"Betrayal can be a bitch for sure. How about you tell me what you were trying to do that led to the betrayal."

"I went to Midgard to rule the people as a benevolent god."

"Brave and courageous of you."

"I'm... honored?"

"I'm sorry it didn't quite work out."

"Hey!"

Nyneve listened from the library at the discussion taking place, biting back a smile. A week had passed since Loki had come to stay with her. Hannah had arrived that afternoon to have an initial talk with Loki, to see how he was doing. Nyneve had closed the door of the library to give them a bit of privacy in the living room. Their voices still carried through the oak door however.

Loki was starting to remind Nyneve of a prickly porcupine with how he used anger and barbed words as a defensive mechanism to protect himself. Nyneve leaned back in her chair thoughtfully. Sometimes mischief is the easiest way to hide the pain...

Nyneve ran a hand through her hair before tucking it behind her ears, settling back in her desk chair. She closed her eyes, evening her breaths, and simply listened as Hannah and Loki interacted. Nyneve didn't need to see him. His voice told her everything she needed to know.

As Loki spoke of the fight with Thor as he tried to destroy the Frost Giants' homeworld, Hannah felt he was finally showing a willingness to talk with her once he realized she wasn't judging him. She sensed the humor at the beginning of the session helped to break the ice.

"He destroyed the bridge to save the Frost Giants. Even if it meant he would never see the girl he met on Earth again."

"You don't agree with it?"

"He sacrificed everything to save the enemy."

"Let's switch up a bit. Why did you wish to destroy the Frost Giants?"

"To prove to Odin that I was worthy." He sighed. "But even then he looked down upon me."

"You were hanging off a bridge, Loki."

Loki opened his mouth to argue, then stopped with a grunt.

"What were your thoughts, how you felt in that moment, looking up at Odin and Thor?"

He was silent for a moment, thinking about that moment. Thor hanging upside down, gripping Gungnir, looking down at his brother. Odin holding Thor's ankle, his face unreadable. The pain and grief on Thor's face as Loki released his hold and fell.

"I never wanted the throne," he finally said. "I only wanted to be Thor's equal."

"And you thought this was how to do it?"

"I would never have made Odin proud. He would never have seen me as an equal."

"Did Thor see you as an equal?"

Loki looked over at her, but didn't answer, realizing that Hannah's observational skills saw the love Thor had for him, despite Loki's jealousy and the many times he'd stabbed him.