Birthday Chaos

God, Rex just needed some sleep.

He had a long, exhausting campaign and had just reached his barracks in his armor. Jesse had trudged in behind him, groaning in misery and face planting onto his bunk.

Kix had followed suit not long after, looking a bit better than Jesse and playfully teasing him.

"Need some bacta?"

"Shut up, Kix.." Jesse muttered into his pillow. The medic gave a chuckle in reply.

Rex started to unclip his armor, sitting at the edge of his own bunk. With a quick glance over, Jesse had apparently already fallen asleep. He gave a fond smile at the trooper before Fives entered.

The Captain was surprised to see him looking exhausted for once, but he had a feeling it wouldn't last.

"That was the worst campaign of my life," the ARC muttered, sprawling himself out on his bed after quickly taking off his chest armor. "Count me out on the next one."

Then, he was out too.

Rex finally freed himself of his armor and yawned, falling back onto his bunk and closing his eyes. He muttered a quiet thanks when he faintly heard Kix walk up and pull the blanket up to his shivering shoulders.

"Night, Captain.."

"G'night, Kix."

He closed his eyes.

Rex isn't sure how much sleep he had gotten by the time he was woken up to Fives and Jesse clearly trying to talk to him, but he didn't care.

"Could you two be quiet?" He grumbled, rubbing his eyes with his fist. "'m trying to sleep.."

"You can't sleep!" Jesse said. "Do you know what day it is?"

"Leave Rex alone day?"

"No," Fives replied. "It's your birthday, you di'kut."

Rex blinked.

He had completely forgotten about that.

"Don't really care.." He mumbled. "'m tired."

"Come on," Fives tugged on his arm. "We gotta celebrate. Cody and everyone else will be there."

"Please?" Jesse asked. "Come on, Rex. Have some fun. Enjoy yourself. Have a good time!"

Rex groaned and sat up. "Fine. But I hate you."

Fives shrugged. "Oh well. Now come on," He gave him a few moments to get changed, then grabbed his arm and yanked him through the hallways of the base until they reached the mess hall.

Rex just stared, knowing full well that there were probably a bunch of people on the other side.

And there were.

He could make out Cody, Skywalker, Commander Tano, Ponds, Kix, Tup, and more people.

His eyes widened. Despite expecting this, he felt like he wasn't expecting it.

It was a weird feeling. But for some reason he found himself smiling.

Fives and Jesse looked at each other. "Told you," Fives grinned.

Jesse nudged him. "Quiet."

Ahsoka bounded up to them, wrapping her arms around the clone Captain. "Happy birthday, Rexter. Welcome to the party!"

"Erm, thanks Commandef," Rex laughed.

Tup, Cody, and Ponds ran up next, wrapping their arms around him and enveloping him in a group hug.

"You're still my baby brother," Cody said, wrapping an arm around his shoulders. "Doesn't matter how old you get. Nothing will change that."

"I don't know whether to feel complimented or attacked," Rex murmured. Cody grinned, then it softened and he placed a kiss to his temple. "Happy birthday, vod'ika."

Rex smiled, turning to watch Kix stride over to him, a grimace on his face. "Sorry about them, Captain. I couldn't get them to leave you alone. They physically tied me up just so I wouldn't bother them bothering you."

"Eh, it's fine now," the Captain waved it off. "No harm done, except to my sleeping schedule."

Kix chuckled and pat his back. "Don't get too old, sir. Next thing you know we'll be calling you Gramps."

"You still have a long way to go for that, Kix," Rex replied.

Before he could say anything else, Fives lunged at him from behind, wrapping his arms around his neck.

"Sooo, how is it?"

"If you'd get off my back maybe I'll tell you."

The ARC hopped down, staring at Rex with anticipation. The Captain looked at him, and couldn't help the soft smile that slipped at the man's excited look. It was clear that this meant a lot to him.

"It's..it's pretty amazing," Rex finally said, honestly. And Fives must have believed him because his grin got wider.

"I definitely wasn't expecting this," He glances around. "You did pretty good."

Fives' face softened. "Thanks. That..means a lot. Coming from you."

Rex shrugged his shoulders and opened his arms. Fives dove forward immediately with no second thoughts, wrapping his arms around his torso.

"Happy birthday.." Fives whispered.

Rex sighed. "You know, I really do appreciate you despite how I show it."

"I know.." Fives replied. "I'm the same way. Except your a bit more obvious."

"I try."

"Not enough, clearly."

Rex scoffed, smacking him. "Hey!"

Someone suddenly hit him with cake from behind and Rex tensed, releasing his grip on Fives, who was looking at him with a mix of amusement and horror.

The Captain slowly spun around to face Jesse, who was holding an empty plate with an innocent expression on his face.

"Oops."

Rex chased after him, shouting various profanities in Mando'a.

And that's how he ended up with his armor being coated in cake and icing when he collapsed into bed that night.