At an End

The war was almost over. Ahsoka could hardly believe it.

Before, it was like this conflict would never end, that it would go on for her entire lifetime. But how, there's a light at the end of the long endless tunnel that they've been traveling.

Rex, her best friend and practically her big brother, although she's technically older than him, was at her back. He stood behind her when she went to deliver her report to the council.

The whole, citizen deal with Windu definitely wasn't ideal. But she learned to put up with it. Now, it didn't really bother her and instead just annoyed her.

When she talked to Yoda, she could tell the war was having an impact on him. He was more sad and very understanding. She was glad he understood her decision to stay away and to continue acting as only a citizen until she felt comfortable to return.

Chances are, she will return to the order once the war is settled. They could make some changes and she could finally catch up with Anakin.

She couldn't wait to see him again.

After, they departed for the Tribunal. It would take them all the way back to Coruscant, where she'd escort both Rex and Maul. And hopefully, Maul's knowledge could end the war.

Hopefully. Hope was a fragile thing after all.

Rex came up to her on the bridge and they looked out into hyperspace. It seemed that he could sense her discomfort.

"Something on your mind?"

His presence was comforting. She's gotten so used to having him by her side that when she suddenly left without a goodbye to them, she felt horribly guilty.

She won't make that mistake again.

"As a Jedi.." She began. "We were trained to be keepers of the peace, not soldiers. But all I've been since I was a padawan, was a soldier."

Rex sighed from behind her. "Well, I've known no other way. It gives us clones...mixed feelings about the war."

She turned to face him. "Some people wish it never happened. But without it, we wouldn't exist."

Ahsoka smiled. It was true. The war gave her one of the best friends she could possibly ask for. She had no idea where she'd be without him.

"Well, perhaps some good has come from all of this. The Republic couldn't have asked for better soldiers, nor I, a better friend."

And she meant that sincerely.

The Captain, now Commander, smiled at her, something she wished she saw more often.

She raised her hand and saluted him. He did the same in return.

Maybe coming back wouldn't be such a bad thing after all.

Unfortunately, it didn't last. Another clone approached Rex from behind. "Commander Rex, the latest briefing has just come in."

He turned to her. "Want to have a look?" He offered. "It might have an update on General Kenobi's efforts."

Ahsoka thought for a moment, then smiled. "Sure, why not?"

She'd like to hear the, hopefully, good news.

She followed him, standing at his side by the holo-table. They stood there for a few seconds, waiting for the briefing to start, when her head suddenly pounded and voices rang in her head.

Her expression shifted into discomfort as she raised a hand to her head.

"Don't listen to him Anakin!"