Reconditioning

Umbara was Rex's worst nightmare. From the traitorous 4-armed frog to killing his own brothers.

How could he have been fooled so easily? Fives had warned him over and over again. He had clearly known stuff that he didn't, and made it obvious. But Rex never asked.

He sat there and did nothing.

So when it came down to the execution, Rex knew that he couldn't just sit by and do nothing anymore. He shot Krell through the back. The shot killed him instantly.

Part of him couldn't believe what he had just done. He killed their superior officer.

Rex stood there, smoking pistol still raised, shaking, when Jesse laid a hand on his wrist, pushing the weapon down. "It's over."

He turned to where Fives had a hold of Dogma. The ARC's gaze was sad, yet also relieved. They left the traitor's body in the brig and headed up to the surface where General Kenobi's forces awaited.

"Rex," Fives caught up to him. "What's going to happen to you? To some people, you just killed a Jedi."

He didn't have an answer. "I'm not sure. But I guess we're about to find out."

When General Kenobi approached them, him and Fives, plus Jesse, told him about what happened.

"Oh my.." the General muttered, then his face fell. "Who fired the shot?"

Rex raised his hand, and he saw Kenobi's face pale. "I did, sir. I didn't have a choice."

"What's going to happen to him, sir?" Jesse asked. Rex could see Cody standing behind the General, looking his way. His helmet was on, but he could see how tense he was.

"A court martial most likely," Kenobi replied, stroking his beard. "I'm afraid I have to place you under arrest, Captain. As much I do not want to."

"It's alright, General," He reassured him. "I understand."

Fives gawked. "Rex—"

He turned toward the ARC as other clones came with cuffs. "It'll be fine, Fives," He tossed him his helmet. "Keep this for me until I get back will ya?"

Rex saw the desperate look that crossed his face before he nodded. "Yes, sir."

"And hey," He nudged Fives gently. "I'm proud of you, by the way. Keep everyone in line, that includes yourself, 'Mr. Do What I Want'."

Fives scoffed, then managed a weak smile. "You better be back."

Rex smiled. "Don't worry, I will."

Cody grabbed his arm in a steel grip as he was escorted onto the gunship. "I'm so sorry."

He couldn't help but lean against his older brother. "'s okay, Codes. You weren't there."

"Should've been.." the Commander muttered. "Could have shot him for you."

Rex shook his head. "I would have killed you if you did that."

"You can't kill me," Cody chuckled. "I'm older than you."

"Who said that mattered?"

"Me."

"Yeah right.."

....

It was a few days since Rex was taken into custody. The 501st was anxiously awaiting news about their Captain.

Apparently, General Skywalker found out first. And when he walked into the barracks where Fives, Tup, and a few other troopers that, the look on his face was dim.