Changes (pt 2)

"Cody, I'm no traitor.."

The Commanders raised a brow. It was clear he didn't believe him.

Rex wished he would.

"You had your orders, Commander," He seethed. "And you disobeyed them."

Rex stared at him for a few seconds, brows furrowing. "Just because we're given orders doesn't mean they're right."

"That doesn't matter," Cody said. "Good soldiers follow orders. Which you failed to do. And since you did not comply, I have specific instructions to eliminate any and all traitors of the Empire."

Rex felt his heart shattering. This wasn't Cody. He'd never do this.

Which is what made him all the more determined to free him. He just had to figure out how.

The best bet would be to get him to Bracca and remove his chip there. That would mean he had to knock him out and drag his sorry shebs to the Havoc Marauder.

Better than nothing.

"Please don't do this," Rex pleaded. "I'm your best friend. You'd never hurt me."

"You're a traitor!" Cody's voice was gaining volume. "You're a traitor to the Empire, Rex! You betrayed me. And you betrayed all of us. You're a disgrace."

Rex sighed and lowered his head. Best to come up with something in the next few seconds or else he was definitely a dead man.

But there wasn't much he could do. He was cuffed.

He looked up and stared at him sadly. Then, as soon as the blaster bolt fired, he jerked out of the way. Cody grabbed him and tried to restrain him, but Rex slammed him into the back wall.

Cody raised his blaster and fired again. This time, it hit and broke the cuffs around Rex's wrists and he was free. He pulled out his own blaster and tried to stun his brother but he was on the ground moments later.

"Traitor!" Cody yelled. "Traitor! You won't make it out of here alive. I'll kill you!"

Hearing Cody so out of his mind broke Rex's heart. The chip had a strong hold on him, but that wouldn't matter.

They wrestled and threw punches at each other, with Cody managing to grab him a chokehold.

Rex coughed, struggling to bring in air. But he gathered the strength and elbowed Cody in the neck, sending him stumbling backwards into the wall.

Another trooper came at him from behind and tackled him. He yelled out in pain as he slammed his face against the ground. When he managed to throw the trooper off and stun him, there was blood trickling down his nose.

He grunted. "Don't do this. I only want to help you! We've known each other for a long time!"

He tried that with Jesse. Didn't work.

It didn't with Cody either.

"No. You've done enough. I thought I knew you, but you turned your back on me. I trusted you."

That hurt.

Rex swung his fist. But Cody ducked, grabbing and throwing him over his shoulder. He hit the ground with a thud, tackling Cody and pinning him as he drew his blaster to stun him.

But the Marshal Commander wasn't done.

He kicked him in the stomach and they both got to their feet.

Cody fired before Rex could completely regain his composure, then he was on the ground. Smoke rose from the dark, burning circle in his abdomen.

He gasped, clutching at the wound as Cody stood over him, blaster aimed for the final blow.