Lone Survivor

Rex was faintly aware of his vision blurring as they watched the Tribunal plummet through the clouds of the desolated moon, dozens of his brothers still onboard.

He felt his stomach flip. They left them to die. No one could survive.

If it wasn't for Maul..

But Ahsoka was the one who released him. Yet, Rex didn't blame her in the slightest. It was a desperate situation. Everything that happened was Maul's fault. And Palpatine's.

As he watched the massive Venator disappear, he closed his eyes for a few seconds.

He thought of Jesse, one of his last surviving friends, and his heart broke. Fives, Kix, Dogma, Tup, Hardcase, Cody, Echo..

And now Jesse.

Echo was who knows where, and Cody was under the chip.

So, all in all, Rex lost them too.

When they finally touched down, Rex nearly collapsed to his knees at the sight of the crumpled wreckage in front of them.

Though the hanger area seemed mostly intact. And that's where he last saw his brothers.

Where he last saw Jesse. He made it a priority to find and bury them before he could even process the full devastation.

Ahsoka turned to him, giving him a questioning look as she grabbed the shovel and held it out to him.

"They didn't deserve to go out like this," She said gently. "The least we can do is bury them properly."

And he agreed. He wasn't going to leave their bodies in that damned wreckage. So he grabbed the shovel and nodded. He inhaled, and they started off into what was left of the Tribunal, stepping over beams and metal and other debris.

The first body he found was one of a shiny. He knelt down and eased his helmet off of his head. His brother's armor was covered in dust and dirt and his face was battered and cut. Blood covered the right side of his head.

Ignoring the injuries, it was almost as though he was simply sleeping.

He lowered his head and rested a hand on the soldier's chest plate. "I'm sorry, ner'vod."

With that, he lifted the trooper's body over his shoulder and carried him out, where Ahsoka was gathering poles from the wreckage to presumably rest their helmets on.

She watched him sadly as he approached, then nodded and headed inside herself to search for survivors.

Rex rested his brother's body on the ground, then started digging.

It took awhile before he finished, but once he did, he lowered his body into the ground and began to cover it with dirt, placing the shiny's helmet on the pole once he did so.

Ahsoka came out with 2 more troopers. He dug and buried. This continued for hours and hours, even into the night. They swapped, and he was the one walking in to gather bodies now.

As he aimed the lamp around the haunting wreckage, he heard a shuffle, then a thud. It was followed by a harsh cough, and he stiffened.

Did someone survive?

He rushed in that direction, yelling out for anyone. "Hello?"

Nothing.

Maybe he was hearing things..

But he had to check it out. So he continued, shining the light around until he spotted someone. They weren't moving, but he could hear his loud and ragged gasps and weak groans.