PART TWENTY-THREE / DAMON SALVATORE

Damon stop fucking calling You muttered to yourself as you heard the ringtone for your boyfriend go off for the tenth time that day. You let that call go to voicemail too, still unable to bring yourself to talk to him. After the phone stopped ringing, you just turned it off and tossed it in your bag.

You marched into the Salvatore boarding house, Damon slammed the door behind you. Youre not going anywhere until we talk. That bullet wouldnt have killed me, Y/n. His voice was law, his tone dangerous.

You knew you shouldnt poke the bear but he was making it difficult for you. Your pride was also an issue. And it didnt kill me either, Damon. You tried to make your tone match his. You didnt want a fight, especially since everyone made it home in mostly one piece. I knew Matt wouldnt shoot to kill me, and I knew youd take care of me. You grinned, trying to cozy up to your boyfriend. You just wanted to diffuse the situation, get him to calm down.

Damon wasnt having it. He gripped your upper arms almost too tightly. Dont you get it?! This self-sacrificing crap doesnt work when youre human and incredibly breakable! He barely had a hold on his temper anymore as he shouted at you. You continued to stand your ground, even as he squeezed your arms a bit harder as if to prove a point.

Im not as delicate as you make me out to be, Damon. Your expression hardened before you winced slightly at the pressure from where he held you.

His eyes tightened as he relaxed his grip on you. Hed seen your flinch. I beg to differ. What if I hadnt gotten to you in time? What if you had bled out and I couldnt save you, huh? Where would you be? He all-but shoved you away from him. You stiffened, eyes filling with tears that you didnt dare let spill over in front of him. Youd be dead. And I dont know where Id be. Youre just a pathetic, fragile, little human who thinks she can play with the big kids because one of them is her boyfriend.

You laughed without humor. Youre really trying to get me to hate you, arent you?

Im trying to get you to see that this isnt working anymore! Hell, it barely worked at all! He ran one hand through his hair and looked anywhere but at you.

You didnt know what reaction he was expecting from you; maybe crying, running away. No, as much as you wanted to cry, you were beyond pissed off. You shoved at his shoulder, and still he refused to look at you. So thats it then?! Seven years, Damon. Through seven years, several deaths, the Mikaelsons, witches, werewolves, vampires Through all the absolute shit weve been through, this is what you decide breaks us? He finally looked your way, wanting to say something but you were on a roll. Because this is all you, Damon. Your decision alone. Congratulations,you got what you wanted. But you know that youre not the only one dealing with the consequences of this decision. You let that be the final word before you stormed out of the house, not even bothering to shut the door. You waited until you got in your car before you finally felt the dam break.

After your tears dried, youd turned your phone off and took off in your car to any direction. You drove mindlessly for hours until your eyes blurred from exhaustion, and you had to keep going until you finally spotted a motel.

You checked in and collapsed on the bed once you got to your room. To say it had been a long day would be a major understatement. You tried not to think about Damon again before you passed out on the moderately comfortable bed.

The sunlight invading your eyelids was what woke you up. You were disoriented for a few moments before you remembered where you were. Thats to say where you werent. The room you were in was a stark contrast to Damons bedroom at home. It was dingy but in all honesty not the worst youd ever stayed in. You went to go take a quick shower.

When you came back you sighed and ran your hands over your face. Now that youd had more time to cool off, you could see what happened a little more clearly. Youd known even yesterday that Damon was only throwing hurtful words at you to make you leave him, for what he thought was your own safety. It only worked because your emotions were already so raw with your near-death experience. Maybe he had finally cooled off too.