Chapter 7

Amina woke up to yelling which she was not happy about. She huffed and grumbled as she got up, stomping out of her room. She saw David and Zoya screaming at each other. They always ended up getting into fights like siblings over something.

Last night Aleksander had insisted that Cassiopeia sleep in his bedroom so she decided to give him some more sleep before waking them up.

As she walked past the arguing Grisha, she wordlessly lowered their hearts, making them pass out in the middle of the corridor.

It was honestly too early for this and she had to go wake up her boyfriend.

Amina opened the doors leading to the darkling's private chambers, walking over to the bed. She almost cooed at the sight.

Alexander was asleep with a peaceful look on his face. Cassiopeia was laying on his chest with the shadow summoner's large hands encompassing the small child as if she would disappear at any given moment.

She almost didn't want to wake him up but Aleksander needed to eat breakfast. She softly shook his shoulder being careful not to wake up Cassiopeia. Apparently, he was a really light sleeper because he immediately got up frantically looking at the child to see if she was ok.

"Don't worry Aleksander, I just came to wake you up."

"Oh, Good morning Mina," he said groggily.

She gave him a soft smile, taking Cassiopeia from him for a little, just until Aleksander was ready.

Once he came out of his bathroom, fully dressed, He took the still sleeping baby back. Together, they walked to breakfast in comfortable silence along with Cassiopeia's occasional soft puff of breath.

As soon as they stepped into the hall, everybody's eyes turned to them. Amina felt mildly uncomfortable and thanked the saints when she saw Zoya and Genya jogging up to her. They greeted each other jovially as the awkward tension slowly started to dissipate.

Her two friends started to fuss over Cassiopeia as they pestered Aleksander to hand her over to them. Albeit reluctantly, he did. They normally would never in their lives decide to talk to him like that but ever since Amina started dating the darkling, they were given much more leeway on how to act with him.

Zoya and Genya were tasked with keeping Cassiopeia asleep while Amina and Aleksander finished their breakfast.

Aleksander, Amina noticed, was always anxious about staying away from his daughter for more than a little while. Although he trusts Genya and Zoya to take care of Cassiopeia, he had gotten up after barely touching the food on his plate saying that he was finished.

She thought he was just worried about their child's safety but she was wrong. When Aleksander was younger his mother treated him horribly, treating him harshly all the while telling him it was for his own good. He never knew what parental love felt like. This is why he didn't want to be a bad father to Cassiopeia. He didn't want Cassiopeia to think her father was absent in her life like Aleksander's was.