Chapter 38

"I want a baby," she'd announced casually as if they'd been discussing the weather.

Even now, two days later, Aleksander almost chokes at the memory. He hadn't really thought about having their own child. After all, Cassi was enough for them. 

It wasn't that he didn't want more, the thought had just never crossed his mind. But thinking about it now, it wouldn't be so bad. 

Just as he turned towards their bedroom door to go find Amina, the doors opened and David walked in.

"Amina was found in the corridor unconscious," he said.

The Darkling immediately rushed towards the Healer wing, the Fabrikator hot on his heel.

No one interrupted him as Aleksander strode to see her, likely knowing it would only act as an irritation to the General. However, suspiciously, few refused to look at him whatsoever. 

He looked around the halls once more with suspicion shining through his dark eyes. Nothing seemed visibly out of place, and so, the odd behavior was a situation to deal with another time. He needed to see his wife first.

The doors closed behind him as Aleksander walked through past the Healers. Amina stood on the other side of the space, her back to him. 

He smiled, relieved that she wasn't hurt, and looked fine from what he could see. 

"Don't be mad," she said.

Aleksander could almost feel his heart race accelerate, and his mind raced with countless possibilities. Had something happened? Was she hurt? No wonder the men and women outside had been acting strange.

He could see her shoulders rise and fall with a large breath before she slowly turned to face him.

"I'm pregnant."

Silence engulfed the room.

She waited and waited for a response. Anything, But it never came.

"I know you didn't really tell me if you wanted another child or not. And I'm really sor-"

She was cut off as he wrapped her in a tight hug.

"I was just about to tell you I wanted another one anyways," he whispered into her hair.

"Really?"

"Really."

"So your happy?"

"Of course I am."