Chapter 37

"A baby?" he asks as if he's never heard of the concept before.

His wife, from where she stands opposite his desk with her arms folded in front of her chest, rolls her eyes.

"Yes, Aleksander," she replies, in a tone indicating that she very much thinks he's an idiot. "A baby."

He clears his throat suddenly, begins to stack a series of papers neatly in front of him just for something to do.

His reaction is, he's quite aware, ridiculous. He pats down the pot of ink he spilled after her particular... announcement as inconspicuously as possible

Aleksander has always loathed not feeling in control of himself; being startled, surprised, or shocked in some way. He has spent lifetimes mastering the art of keeping his composure. His dear wife, however, has somehow mastered the ability of rendering him a blithering idiot at random moments despite his years of practice.

Lovely.

"You want one," he says, trying to hide the skepticism in his voice. "A child."

Amina rolls her eyes again so hard he thought they would fall out of her socket.

"I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want one, oh wise Tsar."

Aleksander ignores the gibe.

"You want my baby?"

Amina bristles visibly.

"Well, you are my husband, but I could go ask some Fjerdan soldiers staying in the town if you want. I always have liked blue eyes—"

"No," he says quickly.

A shadow curls itself around her wrist, preventing her from moving.

"That won't be necessary."

"Very well," she says, straightening her shoulders. It occurs to him then, staring at the outline of her collarbone, that his wife is nervous.

That makes him feel better.

He wonders what that says about him, and then quickly decides he does not care.

"A baby," he repeats.

"Why?" he asks, unable to hide his incredulity.

Amina huffs and shakes her head.

"Never mind, dear husband," she calls over her shoulder. With a flick of her wrist, she cuts off blood to his heart for a second just for good measure.