Chapter 36

Ivan, Fedyor, and Amina were sitting on the bench outside in the courtyard. They decided to have a little time away from the stuffiness that everyday duties brought. Besides, Amina was still a little mad at Aleksander for the conversation they had the day before.

"So, how's life?" Ivan asked conversationally.

"It's good, but my extremely intelligent husband got really drunk last night and tried to set our marriage certificate on fire," Mina replied.

"What?"

"He said 'good luck trying to divorce me without proof'" she explained.

"What are you guys talking about?"

She turned as she heard Aleksander's voice ring through the silence.

"Nothing you need to worry about. Anyways, how about we talk about that puppy I really want to get?"

"Darling, how many times do I have to say no?" he sighed.

"Until you learn to say yes."

She stood on her tiptoes to press a chaste kiss on his jaw, trying to persuade him.

She went to say something before pressing a palm against her mouth, she swallowed the bile rising in the back of her throat.

Grimacing, she looked to Ivan. "Mind getting me water?"

"Are you alright?" Fedyor frowned, but she waved him off.

"Just need some water."

Sniffling, she took the water from Ivan. Taking a few sips, she cleared her throat with a frown before taking a few more sips.

"You don't seem fine", Aleksander placed a hand on her forehead only to find it cold, covered in sweat.

Rolling her eyes, she pulled his hand off. "I said I'm fine."

"No your not, go to a Healer."

"I'm sorry, I don't take orders. I barely take suggestions."

Turning her back on three Grisha men, Amina pursed her lips. Knitting her eyebrows, she set off to find David to avoid any more questionable looks and irritating badgering about her health.

Sharing worried glances, Ivan, Fedyor, and Aleksander watched as she walked away, hoping Amina didn't catch a new illness Healers wouldn't be able to relieve.