Chapter 39

Amina Kirigan tried to catch her breath as she rushed through the camp at Kribirsk, the heels of her shoes digging into the earth beneath her feet.

She, Nikolai, her husband, and a couple of other groups of Grisha were stationed there to greet some important friends of the king that were arriving from Fjerda. Cassiopeia was sadly left at the Little Palace for safety reasons.

She quickly entered the main tent, rushing past the Grisha lounging about and towards Aleksander's desk, where he was eating breakfast.

"I can't believe it," she breathed out, smiling when he looked up. 

"You shouldn't be running. Why are you even working? I literally just told you to stop work-"

She excitedly reached out, grabbing a piece of a chocolate muffin from his tray, ignoring his comment completely.

"I can't believe you were right. After so many bets about it, you were actually right! Fuck, I could've saved a lot of money. And, to think-"

"Right about what?" he asked curiously, swatting her hand away when she reached forward for another piece. One look in her eyes and he was groaning, taking the rest of the muffin and handing it to her.

"They found a Sun Summoner."

Within the hour, the supposed Sun Summoner was on her way to the tent.  From what Amina had heard, The girl was in a First Army base when there was an unexpected Fjerdan attack. They didn't have enough soldiers with them and she was stabbed, all of a sudden, she burst out into blinding light that had caused the Fjerdans to dissipate to ash.

When Amina heard the guards' footsteps, she glanced towards Aleksander, who nodded at her, and rushed past him and the other Grisha in the tent and made her way outside. 

He made a comment about her being careful but she was outside before he could even finish.

When she caught sight of the two guards' tight hold on the Sun Summoner's arms, her brows furrowed.

"I can take it from here," she says with an edge to her tone.

"Step aside," one of the guards, most likely a new one, spat, glaring at Amina.

In turn, the girl simply smirked.

"I am Deputy General and I command you to hand her over. If you know what's best for you, you will let her go."

In a second, each guard snatched their hand away from the Sun Summoner as if she'd burnt them.

"Now leave."

With that, she watched them turn on their heel and walk away.

"Is your arm okay?" she asked the girl before her.

She looked thin and pale. There was dirt smeared on her cheeks and neck. Her hair was falling out of what she thought was previously a braid. It was clear she wasn't getting much food and was unhealthy, to say the least. If she had her way, she would be treating the soldiers with a lot more care than the current Tsar.

Her thoughts rushed away when she noted the girl nodding whilst taking hold of her sore arms.

"Come," Amina stated softly, nodding towards the tent and offering the girl a smile before leading her inside.