Chapter 34

Amina's evening with Zoya started out normally. A glass of kvas here and there but nothing drastic. They both told themselves they had to work in the morning and couldn't drink too much. They promised themselves a nice, enjoyable, and quiet evening.

Well, one glass turned into two and then 2 bottles and finished with a glass of whiskey. They even lost their glasses along the way. The two had cried tears of laughter and their stomachs hurt from laughing as they wobbled back to their chambers but Mina swore she wasn't drunk. Maybe just tipsy. It was 2 am and the palace was silent 'bar their belly laughs and footsteps.

The Hearender waved Zoya bye and went towards her own quarters.

Aleksander was in bed, reading one of his old tactical strategy journals for the 10th time. He had intended to go to bed once his wife came back from her evening with Zoya that was supposed to take 'no more than 2 hours' and yet here he is now, curious as to what she'd been up to for the past 6 hours.

Mina pushed open the door harshly and cursed as it made a loud squeak.

"Stupid door."

She ripped her kefta off of her body and draped it in a nearby chair carelessly. Her feet took her to her bedroom but she paused as she squinted to see a figure already sitting in the bed.

"Sweetheart, what a delight to have you back." 

Aleksander knew immediately she was piss drink and decided to have some fun with her.

"Who are you?"

Oh Saints

"Who do you think I am?"

"I already have a husband. He's super scary and he can kill you." 

She leaned against the doorframe and stared at the blurry figure in front of her.

"Where is this husband?"

"Ughhhhh I don't know?"

Aleksander was amused

"Why don't you go to bed and I'll get your husband for you."

"Would you really? He's super tall and has a beard -oh and he wears black. He's the General," she beamed.

"The General?"

"Mhm. But between the two of us, he's not actually as tough as he looks. He's a softy through and through. He's my softy so don't touch him," she pointed accusingly.

Aleksander couldn't help but laugh as he stared at her lovingly. She was his too. Albeit in the morning she would be a handful to deal with, she was his. Forever and always.

She slipped into bed still clothed but not bothered.

"Goodnight stranger."

He leaned over and placed a kiss on herr temple before bleeding his shadows into the room to get rid of the light. 

"Goodnight Mina."