Friends But Actually Lovers (2)

It was strange. Ever since his prince moved out with the panotti, Bruce had been having this emptiness. All his life, he thought he would spend it walking beside his prince. He thought that he had to defend Syris no matter what. However, after meeting Floopy, Bruce was forced to admit. The ugly fae changed his timid prince. With someone to love and protect, Syris started acting more like an alpha. He became more assertive and less prone to bullying. He didn't actually need Bruce around as much anymore.

He hung out with Floopy's only friend and it slowly became Bruce's distraction. Klick was always fighting with him and that made the alpha feel less empty on the inside. As the shark merman searched for a new purpose in life, he found himself starting to entertain thoughts he normally wouldn't care about. For instance, what it would be like to fall in love with a beta instead of an omega.

The blind bat had an appointment with Dr Iason after lessons and bailed early. It became a routine for Bruce to immediately go to the beta classroom block after his classes to escort a certain injured beta. It became so natural that he didn't think about where he was going until he was outside the beta block.

"Are you waiting for Klick?" Yang Yang bounced over at the sight of the shark merman. Initially, the betas were suspicious of an alpha stalking their classes but after a week, everyone grew used to seeing him hang around the blind bat boy.

"Yeah," Bruce nodded and looked around. This was strange. Even if Floopy changed classes, Klick would usually be with Kenma and the annoying three-legged crow.

Yang Yang was in his world again and it was the fox demon who informed Bruce that Klick had left early.

"Left?"

"Mm," Kenma nodded. "He had an appointment with Dr Iason so he was excused from classes earlier."

Bruce paused. How could he have forgotten? Yet, he could only ask if there was anyone accompanying the beta boy. An injured person shouldn't head off on their own even if they were almost fully recovered. Bruce had more reasons to worry about Klick because the beta had an additional handicap on top of being injured. Creeps could get to him and something in Bruce's gut twisted at the thought.

He thanked the boys and left in a hurry when they told him that Klick went alone. Although nothing would happen in such a short frame of time, Bruce decided that it was still better to find Klick at the infirmary just in case something happened. It sounded like a strange reason even to himself but Bruce ignored it. If he was being honest, he would know that all he needed was just an excuse to seek Klick out. Hanging out with the bat boy was always fun. There weren't many people who would be as honest as Klick. It was a bonus that the beta boy was good at fighting both physically and verbally. He gave as good as he got and Bruce couldn't help but feel some sort of attraction towards him.

In no time at all, Bruce found himself outside a familiar door and heard Klick talking to the doctor. He decided to surprise his tiny friend by waiting outside instead of entering. Klick wouldn't be expecting the ambush.

It took a longer time than usual for Klick to come out so Bruce entertained the thought about surprising his small friend with some good news. From the sound of it, the bat should be free to move as he pleased now. It was definitely fun when Klick was in a cast and forced to be a relatively normal person. Teasing the shortie was Bruce's new favourite pastime. Klick's reactions were amusing and Bruce knew that while Klick didn't show it very often, he had good reflex and his handicap didn't stop the small beta from fighting with Bruce on an equal footing. Now that Klick has recovered, Bruce couldn't wait to see what his small friend can do.

He didn't need to wait too long because the moment the infirmary door opened, Bruce was almost attacked by a tiny hand. It was a good thing he blocked on time or he'd lose a few teeth. It wasn't the first time Klick played foul and aimed to decapitate people with a well-aimed punch to the lower jaw. The punch was fast and for the untrained eye, it would have been impossible to avoid.

"Did he say you were fit enough to punch people?" Bruce grunted. The runt was smirking and it wasn't a good sign.

Bruce was right. Klick aimed for his shin and the shark merman had to move quickly to avoid casualty. It didn't take them long to get serious now that Klick had recovered. He could feel the beta's bloodlust and thirst for revenge now that he was given the green light to go all out by the doctor. With nothing to hold them back, Bruce found himself having to get slightly serious to keep up with Klick's aerial attacks.

The shattering of glass registered first and Bruce didn't even feel the impact but the sound alerted both boys that they should probably run before things become worse. Bruce didn't think twice and started to run when he heard the door open. From the side of his view, he saw Klick moving towards the window. That sneaky bat!

For some reason, both boys were grinning like mad as their heart pounded furiously. It could be adrenaline but Bruce felt like there was something more. With Syris, he was always holding back but when he was with the smaller beta, the shark merman forgot all his inhibitions. There was just something about Klick that made him feel comfortable enough to joke, fight, tease and cuss around. Even making their escape was an unspoken agreement. All his life, he'd never found such chemistry and as Bruce jumped off the last flight of stairs, he wondered where Klick would be.

"I guess I'll see him around dinner," he grunted. If the bat wasn't here to meet him and taunt him for being slow, he should have returned to the dormitory.