Chapter Fifty-five

Professor Jorkins stands beside an ancient, ornate mirror, easily taller than himself. The clawed feet dented the wooden floors, and on this gold frame the carved inscription read something that in the English language was indistinguishable as though it was written in an old forgotten language. His students stared at the mirror, the truth of the mirror unknown to even the smartest of them.

"This is the Mirror of Erised. This mirror was created long ago and brought here, to Hogwarts in 1891. The mirror looks deep into your heart and it's reflection shows your deepest and desperate desire. The happiest and most satisfied person in the world would look in the mirror and only see himself, as he is."

Transfixed by the idea of the mirror, many students stepped forward, trying to look in the mirror to see what their heart truly desired. Unintentionally, they got in a line for the chance to catch a glimpse.

At the front of the line stood Lisette Lightwood, staring curiously at the piece of glass. She saw herself, easily a few years older than she is now, standing beside Fabian. She had a ring on her left ring finger and a happily babbling baby on her hip. She held an aura of relief, security and happiness and she held onto the baby with her best friends and husband at her side.

"Are you seeing this right now?" The brunette asks, laughing at the picture perfect reflection standing ahead of her.

Professor Jorkins shook his head, unable to tear the brunette's eyes from her heart's deepest and most desperate desire, "No, Miss. Lightwood, we can't see what you're seeing right now. It's not real, it's conjured by your deepest desire. One can only see their desires, not another's. If someone else were to see your desires right now, it would mean that it was theirs too."

"I see it too," Fabian whispered, looking over her shoulder to see the life together they both desperately craved.

The Defense Against the Dark Arts professor chuckled at their shared desire, urging them to step aside and let their classmates have their turns before the looking glass. The lineup insured a variety of deepest desires, all going unknown to the person behind them.

Narcissa Black, when standing before the soul exposing mirror, saw only herself. It wasn't that she was happy and satisfied with her life, it's that she saw herself happy, free from the stronghold of her family's grasp.

Eddie Bones saw Charlie standing beside him, a Quidditch Cup in hand.

Amos Diggory's reflection showed him craddling a baby with bright blue eyes and blonde curls, as his son Cedric was adorn in Hufflepuff colors while sporting the Head Boy badge as well as Quidditch Captain.

Lily Evans took Amos' place in front of the mirror to find that her sister was looking back at her. Petunia no longer thought of her as a freak nor did she despise her and disregard her. She loved her again, they were once again close as they were as children.

Alice Fortescue and Frank Longbottom knew what they wanted, they didn't need the mirror to tell them that they wanted to get married and have children. They wanted to come out of this War alive, leaving their future children a safe place to live in.

Charlie Johnson was a magizoologist, discovering and caring for magical creatures all over the world. She and her friends never grew apart, no one was lost to the War.

Gilderoy Lockhart saw himself and only himself, adorn in the most lavish lilac dress robes, the aura of fame and fortune radiating around him.

Marlene McKinnon was surrounded by family and loved ones, her three little brothers were chasing each other as her parents laughed at their joy. Dorcas played with them, encouraging their antics.