Chapter Forty-one

Alex woke up before the sun, not knowing what to do with herself because she knew that no one would awake for hours. She silently slid off her bed and walked over to the big window that overlooks the garden, sitting in the cushioned window seat content with herself as the first light began to brighten in the dim sky. She quietly shut the bedroom door, trying not to wake her neighbors with the sound of her shutting heavy door, and went downstairs for her ritual morning coffee, finding a note on the counter next to what has become her favorite mug.

KIDS,

WE'LL BE GONE ALL DAY. THERE'S FOOD IN THE FRIDGE IF SOMEONE WANTS TO COOK DINNER (BUT NOT JAMES OR SIRIUS BECAUSE LAST TIME THEY NEARLY BURNED DOWN THE HOUSE.) BUT IF NOT YOU LOT CAN GO INTO TOWN AND GET YOURSELVES DINNER. BEHAVE YOURSELVES (JAMES AND SIRIUS) AND ALEX AND REMUS ARE IN CHARGE.

LOVE,
MUM & DAD

She heard soft footsteps slap against the floor behind her, coming toward the kitchen. A sleepy Remus shuffles into the kitchen, looking like a deer in highlights when he sees Alex standing there reading the note. He took a mug out of the cabinet and began to brew himself some peppermint tea and began the coffee for her and Sirius, "I didn't think anyone would be up."

"Well good morning to you too. I've been up for hours, Rem," she chuckled, handing him the note.

"Do you ever get any sleep?"

"No, nightly battle with my demons," she shrugged, watching the tattoo versions of them chase each other up and down Remus' forearm.

 Remus chuckled when he read that they were in charge, "Seems like she caught on to the dynamic quick, except for the fact that you're actually the biggest troublemaker."

"I try," Alex smoothly confessed, flipping her messy, unbrushed hair over her shoulder. "I mean, I do tend to make a mess out of a lot of things. Including my friendships," she murmurs looking up at him through her lashes, referring to the kiss.

Of course Remus instantly knew what she was talking about, his face turning a deep shade of red, "Al, I've-I've actually been meaning to talk to you about-"

Alex held up her hand and shook her head no, "No, it's fine Rem. It doesn't- it doesn't matter anymore. It-it was stupid and I didn't know what I was doing till I did it and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have put you in that position. Let's... let's just act like it never happened."

"Act like what never happened?" Sirius yawned, stumbling into the kitchen with James and Peter following shortly behind him.

Alex laughed, pouring herself a cup of coffee, "Apparently, you and James nearly burning down the kitchen. Aunt Euphemia and Uncle Fleamont are gone for the day and they've left me and Moony in charge. They also mentioned that you two aren't allowed to cook because of nearly burning down the house."

James took the letter from Remus' hand, groaning, "Oh come on, it was one time and it was an accident. I didn't know you couldn't put tinfoil in the microwave! And what does she mean "James and Sirius behave"? Andy is the biggest troublemaker of us all!"

"But she never gets caught unless she wants to be," Letti snickered as she entered the kitchen.

The day was a lazy day. They stayed inside and mostly watched old Muggle movies that Letti and Alex found when they went into town the other day and got their tattoos. Remus was curled up in the armchair reading The Lord of the Rings, Peter and Letti both fell asleep during Casablanca and James was so invested in these films that he didn't even move to get food.