Chapter 29

Tanabi's P.O.V.
Once the rain finally stopped, like promised, we walked out of the warm cave and smelled the air.

"Do you smell that?" I asked a bit excited. I know that scent anywhere. "Beba, come here." I called and he quickly padded over to me, which wasn't all that hard since he's a cheetah. He perked up his head, closing his light green eyes, and smelled the air. His brows furrowed but soon his eyes popped open and his ears became erect.

"Haunani. " He whispered happily. "MK, fly ahead! Find my son!" He demanded and MK soon took flight and flew into the darkness of the night leaving behind a gush of wind. As soon as he fled Beba followed after, dashing through the mud and tall grass quickly.

"Hey! Wait for us!" I called but it was too late he had already gone. I looked back at Kovu and Mheetu with a huge smile spread across my lips. They copied my actions and soon we were running at full trot attempting to find Beba and MK in the darkness.

The only thing that was heard as we ran was our feet slapping the ground and the crunching of the grass. Our steps were quick as well as our movements, dashing bushes, mud patches, and rocks that happen to be in our way.

"Agh!" I skid to a stop and turned my head to see that Kovu had stepped on a rock. I looked from him to the footprints in front of me, leading towards Beba, MK, and possibly Haunani. I then sighed and padded over towards my injured friend.

"Are you alright?" I asked while lifting his dark colored paw with my own.

"Yeah, it was just a pebble. " He assured with a grimace.

"Can you keep going?" Mheetu asked now by my side. Kovu removed his paw from my grasp and licked the padding a few times before nodding, then once again, we continued our trek, only this time a bit slower. I knew that Kovu was lying, his paw was bleeding a bit and he was limping so it was best to walk all the way and not run like a bunch of idiots though it's a for a good cause. But, I can't overwork Kovu it wouldn't be right.

"You know, The Royal Lion Guards must know by now of our disappearance. " Mheetu said in between breathes.

"Yeah," I paused worried "I think we should pick up our pace. Can you do it, Kovu?" I asked looking back. Kovu gave me a half smile then looked down at his paw. "Of course you can't, well can you get in front of me? I think it would help a bit. " I think if he was in front of me I could pull him on top of me if the guards were to be on our tail.

Kovu nodded and proceeded to limp in front of me with Mheetu behind me now.

"Just follow the paw prints. " I informed him earning a nod back from him.

As the night grew longer and our paws ached more and more we continued our slow paced walk, hoping, praying, that somehow Beba has found his missing cub.

"Uh, guys do you hear that?" Mheetu suddenly asked with his steps stopping. I looked back with one of my paws picked up.

"Hear what?" I heard Kovu ask from behind me.

"Do you think?" Mheetu asked in a whisper.

"No, that'd be impossible. " Kovu answered back in the same hushed tone.

"Doesn't mud collect scents?" I asked looking down at my now mud covered paws. I looked up quickly and perked my ears up. They are close. "I think we should run. " I whispered and then hunched my entire body so that it now closer to the ground. "Come on. " I groaned and began to run in a crouched position. Kovu was in front of me like before and Mheetu right behind me. "Go towards the jungle. " I ordered.

"But the markings-"

"Forget the markings! Head towards the jungle!" I cut Kovu off and saw his whole body shift towards the left rather than towards the right where Beba's marking led. He then rose to his full height and ran through a bunch of vines, I mimicked his actions and ran into the ripped vines feeling my heart beat in my butt. Then Kovu made a sharp right leading to a bunch of branches. I groaned and drifted attempting to follow Kovu.