Chapter 18

The sun and I are enemies once again. I really, really hate this stupid glowing ball. My eyes are burning from how intense it is today. I yawn and feel paws being shoved into my mouth, I gag and close my mouth. I look down to see a very giggly Muna.

"You're teeth are so sharp!" She giggles and licks my cheek with her small tongue.

"I know, they're great for eating cheetah cubs. " I smirk and she frowns.

"Not funny. " I chuckle and lick her causing her brothers to wake up and one in particular looks up at me with worried eyes.

"You okay Haunani?" I furrow my brows in confusion and concern for the purple spotted cub.

"Are you scared to talk to the king today?" The six year old asks slightly shivering.

"Nah the king doesn't scare me and he shouldn't scare you and do you know why?" He shakes his head side to side.

"Because you are twice the lion anyone here is. "

"But I'm a cheetah cub. I can't do anything. " He hangs his head down and I pick it back up with my snout making him look at me dead in the eyes.

"But you're a big cat, you're fierce and you have two things we don't. Speed and agility I promise you that when you're ten years older you'll be the quickest cheetah that has ever lived. You're fearless Haunani and that is what makes you a lion and a Pride Lander. " He smiles and places his forehead against mine and we stay like this for a while. Muna and Makuma then place one of their paws on Haunani making the three motherless spotted cubs look wise beyond their years.

It's been a few minutes and everyone is now awake. Stretching and yawning and greeting one another. Vitani's brilliant blue-violet eyes are not as lively as usual. It must be the talk of Kopa, I know how much he meant to her and I was so selfish that I didn't even notice I was hurting her.

I walked over to her after greeting Mheetu with a headbutt.

"Tani?" I ask and her eyes dart to me and I see her relax.

"Morning. " She smiles, though it's fake, and nuzzles into my neck. I know this is going to sound weird but I can feel her sadness it's as if it's radiating off of her and I don't like it. I don't want her to ever be anything but happy.

"You okay? You look so...down. "

"I'm fine Tanabi. " She looks away and I know she's lying.

"Don't lie Tani, if this whole Kopa thing is bothering you I'll make it stop. I don't want you to be hurt or-"

"Tanabi. All my life I've been trained to be tough, to deal with my personal issues alone and that is exactly what I'm going to do. So please don't worry. I promise I'm fine. " I don't know if I should be offended or not. I guess not?

"Alright, but if anything bothers you, you tell me okay? " She nods and once again looks away. I use my snout to push her gaze towards me.

"Say okay. " I whisper. Her mouth slightly opens and her breath hitches.

"Okay. " She says and I lick her cheek. She blushes, though she'll never admit it, and nuzzles me again.

Suddenly I hear a twig snap and I open my eyes and whip my head around to see the golden king standing tall. I inwardly groan and look back at Vitani. She nods and licks my cheek giving me permission to walk away.

"Morning. " Simba greets with a fake smile.

"Morning. Can we go now?" I rudely mumble and follow behind him as he leads me farther and farther away from my friends.