Chapter 17

We are all lying together, side by side, telling stories of Kopa and how much of a brave lion he was even at such a young age. I found out he died at the age of nine but I haven't heard how he died. I would like to ask but I honestly don't want the queen to cry even more than she already has. Kiara is next to her, with her tiny paw on top of her mothers comforting her when a new story of her first born comes around.

Beba has begun a new story.

"Kopa was a prince but he was never shallow nor arrogant. He was kind and would put people before him. I believe that wherever he is, he is still pouncing on butterflies and getting himself into trouble with The Great Kings Of The Past, tugging on their ears or pouncing on their tails. But I hope that he is happy out of everything. He wasn't only a friend, he was my brother. Though I was the 'weird' friend that was always running and never roared he was always by my side. I remember this one time Kopa asked me to help him babysit Kiara..." He pauses and looks over at Kiara who is staring at my spotted brother.

"Kopa had the bright idea to make her bite onto my tail as I dragged her along the cave floor. She was laughing the entire time and Kopa was watching with wide eyes and a smile on his face that made the whole cave brighter. It looked as if he was trying to absorb everything, so he can have it in his head and replay it as many times as he possibly can. Kopa was always doing this, always trying to bring joy wherever he went even if he wasn't happy himself." He finishes the story and I swear it's as if he's telling me a vivid memory, as if I already knew the story.

I've heard over ten stories and I knew how they would all end. Pouncing lessons with Timon, pulling on Pumbaa's tail that ended in a disaster and him smell like crap for a month, playing with Kiara and Beba. All of them I knew already without them having to finish them. Am I really Kopa? I mean it's been ten years since his passing and I'm his age, nineteen, so it's possible. I don't believe it is but I suppose it can since Mufasa is the wind.

The sun is now gone and has been replaced by the moon. Haunani, Makuma, and Muna are all asleep on their father and they look adorable with their mouths hanging open and eyes barely closed.

"It's getting late and Simba is already mad. I think it's time we all go. " Nala says with a sniffle. They can't leave, I haven't heard how Kopa died. "We'll be back tomorrow with more stories." She assures me with tears in her teal eyes.

"Can we stay?" Kiara asks for the four of them, then turns to me and Beba "if that's okay." She adds.

"Of course." He says with a grin. Nala says they can and with that the sad queen takes her pride back home.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-..-.-.-.-.-.-..-.-.-.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-..-.-.-.-.-.-

"I'm sure you want more stories and the one you want won't be given to you by them." Kiara says once we have lied down and put the cubs to sleep in a moss patch.

"I want to know how he died, yes, but I know you don't want to share it."

"I would tell you if I knew the story." She frowns and I feel horrible for bringing it up.

"It's okay." Her face lightens up and she rests her head in Kovu's paws and in seconds she's asleep.

"She's been really moody since her pregnancy." Kovu jokes as he licks Kiara's head. It's a sweet gesture but for some reason it makes me scrunch up my nose.

"What?" He stops licking her and looks at me with his emerald eyes.

"Nothing. "

"Then why the face?" He nods towards me.