Ch.3 - Confidence

Ch.3 - Confidence

The following day was uneventful. Bakugou remained locked behind the wisteria caged bars. He didn't try once to break out, seeing as he didn't want to end up in pain or worse. Up above him, he could hear creaking and movement. But like the bars, every inch of the cage had been smeared with wisteria extract, making it so he couldn't escape unless he decided to risk his life.

The only place that wasn't covered in wisteria was the floor. The dirt got on everything, making it that he'd need to shake off the small pile of blankets off the futon before he dared to lay down and attempt to sleep. Even so, the demon felt no desire to escape, and thus he behaved himself.

The only time he saw the slayer who had captured and given him that ultimatum was when she walked down in the early hours of the morning to leave him another bucket of blood and flesh. This time she didn't waste time in dealing with the demon she got the parts from. She had poisoned its head right away after dropping the food off for him.

It turns out that a demon head that's been separated from the rest of its body and has been poisoned won't affect the rest of his body. Thus, Bakugou was safe to feast on this demon's remains.

The girl had not returned back to see him since, but thanks to his heightened senses, he could tell she was just above him. What she was doing, he didn't know. But he didn't care very much either. So he ate and relaxed, trying to not let boredom come for him.

It stayed this way for nearly a week. The slayer coming by in the mornings having caught him a fresh demon to feed on, and then her poisoning the head, ensuring the demon would not regrow its limbs and become a problem.

He would eat and sleep for as much as he pleased and then try to pass the remaining time by listening to the noises above him or even finding ways to improve his speech. The sepia-colored images in his mind didn't get any clearer, but at least he was starting to be able to connect the images to words in his head.

But on the morning of the fifth day of isolation in the cage, the routine had changed. Bakugou glanced up from his bed as the slayer came down the stairs. As usual, she carried the head of a demon in one hand, holding it by its hair and then a bucket of his day's meal in the other.

"Here you go." She spoke, sliding the bucket through one of the bottom grates of the cage.

As Bakugou snatched his meal and started to dig in, he watched from the corner of his eyes as the slayer merely dropped the still angry head and then injected it with a syringe full of a purple liquid. The demon screamed before slowly perishing. Once it was dead, you would place it into a large basket where it would join the other heads.

It turns out that it would be more beneficial to Bakugou's hunger if you simply poisoned the demons rather than used your nichirin blades on them. By doing it this way, the flesh would at least stay in his system.

As Bakugou scarfed down his meal, you slowly pulled out another syringe. You held it in your hand, feeling its weight. It was amazing to you how something so small and light could feel as if it weighed so much.

The syringe was different than the usual ones you used, as it had two chambers rather than one. The device was capable of administering two different serums at once, and thus... you had decided to use it as a safety measure for what you knew needed to be done.

One vial held what had been inscribed in that old journal as a possible treatment for demonism and the other vial had pure wisteria extract. You wanted to help Bakugou, but he was still a demon. He could have been waiting to earn your trust and would rip your arm off the moment you asked for his own. Thus, you had prepared this as a safety measure.