Chapter Twenty-Six

I took a deep breath before entering La Scène du Renez-Vous, clutching the letter in my hand. I rubbed my neck awkwardly, hoping my simple button-up and dress pants were good enough for the dress code. Sure, it was just meant to be business casual, but I felt like even though I showered and brushed my hair nicely and wore my best clothes, I still looked how I felt: like a guy like me just was never meant to step foot in a place like this.

"Reservation name?" the man at the desk opened his book of reservations.

"U-um, B-Bonobon? F-for two?" I tried not to look awkward, thinking I'd just look suspicious. Although, the guy didn't look at me with suspicion or disgust, but a kinda playful smile instead.

"Oh. Your date's already here." The man closed his book and led me to the table, where Cinnamon was.

I was pretty amazed by the scenery. It was an outside table, and the balcony had rose vines all around the wooden structures, along with the fairy-lights strung up for when it got dark, which it was about to be. I guessed this place was made to be the perfect date area.

She looked surprised to see I came, although I didn't blame her. I wasn't exactly a kid who could afford to eat at a place like this, and I definitely wasn't the type to have much of good and nice clothing.

"Your waiter will arrive shortly."

I sat down across from her, looking down at the table. "T-this is a very, um, f-fancy restaurant..."

"Yeah. I wanted it to be very classy, you know?" She rubbed the back of her neck. "I-I'm sorry, if you felt like you had to dress up to—"

"Nah, I needed a reason to wear these things before they gathered to much dust," I chuckled, trying to lighten up the mood.

Cinnamon smiled, seeming to loosen up a bit. "You don't get a reason to dress up much? How come? I'd assume a bunch of girls want to ask you out."

"I did have a bunch of girls asking me out. But... I don't know, I wasn't interested? I was trying to get that good college money, you know?"

"Really!" She smiled more. "That's really smart of you! I guess you made time to make friends this year, since college is right around the corner, huh?"

"What do you mean?" I, the idiot I was, was genuinely confused, since I hadn't tried to see PJ's and my relationship from an outside point of view.

"You and PJ of course! You two act like you've known each other forever! I mean, he's constantly drawing you in his notebooks! And I can't help but think you two are spiritual brothers with how much time you spend together!"

I blushed a bit, since it was weird to hear someone think the guy I had been hooking up with and I behaved like brothers. "I mean, I wouldn't say we're that close. I guess we just have nothing better to do."

"So you're only on this date instead of hanging out with your friend because you have nothing better to do?" Cinnamon frowned, taking it the wrong way.

"No!" I quickly exclaimed, a bit louder than I meant. "I mean... I know that I don't know you very well, but you seemed so nice. And since you wrote me that letter, I decided even if this date makes us realize we wouldn't work romantically, even if it's just a 'not yet', we could become friends. You're the kinda girl I'd like to think I'd be at least friends with if I wasn't so... shy."

I was lying through my teeth. I felt a little bad for using this girl, but she was convenient. I told myself that I had to be friendly and shit, maybe flirt a little.

After all, if I was going to miss a night with PJ, I was going to enjoy it.

Cinnamon stopped her annoyed face. "Oh." She blushed a little, smiling as she looked away. "That's the nicest thing someone has ever said to me."

"I doubt someone like you hasn't heard better on the daily."

She smiled more, blushing more as well.

The waiter came over. "Hi, I'm Lyric, I'll be your waiter for the rest of the night. Can I started you two off with something to drink?"

"I'll take a water with no ice, thank you," I started, speaking in my waiter voice, to the waiter. She looked a bit surprised but shook it off.

"I'll have a grape cola." Cinnamon smiled at the waiter.

"I'll be back with that." She left, although it was so weird to see waiters walking, because of how my own restaurant worked.

I looked back to Cinnamon, returning to my usual voice. "So what about you? I'd like to hear a little about your friends, since I've told you about mine."

And like that, a night of flirts and fun began. As we ate and drank nonalcoholic substances, I slowly found myself stop counting the seconds, and genuinely smiling.