Chapter Thirty-Six

I turned around after the click of PJ locking the door, mostly prepared for a very difficult talk. I was taken off guard as PJ slammed his lips into mine and wrapped his arms around my neck, absolutely surprised by the action. I accidentally let him slip his tongue inside of my mouth, although I quickly pulled him off before things went too far.

I stepped back, a bit startled by all of this. I wasn't angry, just a bit scared.

PJ panted, putting his hand to his chest. He had this look in his big eyes. It was amazement and excitement and relief and love all mixed together in an emotional cocktail that reflected in his irises. He looked up at me, his lips spreading into a smile.

"It's still there," he whispered breathlessly. "You feel it too, right?"

I knew exactly what he meant. My heart was pounded from that kiss, and it refused to stop the quick and heavy beat. I knew he was talking about that emptiness in my chest when he left. The emptiness I had become familiar with, until he appeared again to show me what being complete was.

"I-I don't k-know w-what you're t-talking about..." I lied after a pause.

He saw right through it, smiling more. "You do!" He giggled excitedly, filling my stomach with butterflies. "I-I was scared that when I saw you again, I would still have that emptiness, that this feeling wouldn't come back."

"I... I didn't think of that..." I looked down, blushing a little. "I just... I thought you'd never return to my life... I accepted that I'd have to feel this forever..."

"Why would I just leave forever?" PJ walked forward, gently reaching up and cupping my cheeks. "I love you!"

"I thought you'd moved on, and fallen in love with someone more deserving... I can't be that far off, you do have Cil, so—"

"CILISYOURBABY!" PJ suddenly exclaimed, finally confessing to what he seemed to be hiding. There were tears in his eyes, seemingly from all the stress of never telling anyone. He pulled his hands away, hugging himself as he looked down.

I took a moment to process. I didn't even know where to start with ideas on how that would've worked. I already knew trying to think it out myself would give me a headache.

"You need to explain that." I gently led PJ to his bed before having him sit down. I sat next to him, so he didn't have to look at me when explaining it all, since it could be an uncomfortable conversation. "First, I want you to explain to me... how did all of this even happen?"