Chapter Forty-Six

The next day, I came over as soon as possible after my shift. Crescent would be there soon, and I wanted to calmly talk to Cil and make sure he was okay before that.

PJ opened the door, smiling when he saw me. "Come in." He dragged me inside, taking me to the living room.

Cil whimpered in the living room, clinging to his plushy. He looked up when I entered the room, scooting back and closing his legs, holding Kitty closer.

"Hey Cil," I said softly, walking over to him. "Can I sit next to you?"

My son looked at his father behind me before giving a shy nod.

Slowly, I walked over and sat a nice bit away from him. It wasn't longer than the length of my arm, but I didn't want to scare Cil by sitting too close.

"I'm sorry that I yelled the other day. It wasn't very appropriate or kind of me to do, especially in front of you," I gently said, trying to keep my vocabulary simple. "You should never yell or grab people when you're mad, okay?"

Cil nodded. "Y-you yell very loud..."

"I know. And I'm sorry for scaring everyone. Even if what Crescent did was unkind as well, it did not make my behavior okay. The only reason you should yell or grab someone is if you are in danger, okay?"

He nodded again. This reminded me of what happened when we first met. He was so meek and scared, not really speaking to me. It hurt, but in a way I was mad at myself for causing it.

"I just want you to know that when I do leave, even if it seems like a very long time, I will always come back, okay? And trust me, if I didn't have to leave for important things, I would never ever leave." I looked over to him.

Cil teared up. "I was scared you would never come back. B-because I was being such a c-crybaby!"

"No, no! I would never do that!" I scooted over to him, gently hugging him. "I don't think you're a crybaby, and it's okay to cry. I know you were scared, and I would never be mad at you for crying, okay?"

Cil nodded, whimpering as he wiped away his tears. He cuddled up to me a little, calming his breathing as he leaned into my hug. We sat there, my child safely in my arms. I happily took this quiet, calm moment with him.

"A-are you my other dad?"

His question cut through the air like a knife. I quickly looked over at PJ, who seemed just as surprised as I was. We both just stared at each other, not knowing what an appropriate response to that was.

"A-are you not...?" Cil whimpered.

"No! I mean yes?" I rubbed the back of my neck. "I am your other dad. I-I just didn't know how to say that."

Cil immediately brightened up. "Yay! I have two dads!"

I chuckled awkwardly, looking at PJ to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

PJ seemed embarrassed, blushing a little as he rubbed his arms. "Well, I guess this is how we tell him."

I sighed in relief, looking back at Cil. He seemed so elated to have two parents at last, and it was as incredibly adorable.

"You guys have to get married now!" Cil exclaimed, making both of our faces go beat red.

"Uhhmm—"

The doorbell rang, giving us an excuse not to talk about all that.

"We'll talk about it later. For now, Mr. Ink and Mr. Error will take you to play in their room while some adult conversations happen here, okay?"

"You didn't tell me though!" Cil huffed as he got picked up by Ink.

"Good luck, dear." Ink gave me a reassuring pat on the shoulder before carrying the toddler away.

"You ready for this?" PJ hugged my arm, obviously not prepared for such a conversation.

"Who ever is?"