Chapter Thirty-Nine

While PJ was helping Ink prepare dinner, and Error was out getting last-minute items, Crescent, Cil, and I were left alone in the living room.

I, of course, was entertaining my baby, happy to play with him.

"He got attached to you really fast," Crescent pointed out.

"I think that's just how kids his age are. They're still so new to the world, and every person that gives them attention must seem like their best friend." I shrugged it off.

"Oh please. He doesn't treat anyone like he treats you."

"What do you mean?"

"Look at him." Crescent motioned to Cil, who was bouncing on his heels and staring at me while we spoke. "He wants your attention so badly. He only treats PJ like this."

"Daddy!" Cil exclaimed, recognizing PJ's name.

"Yes. PJ's your daddy." I smiled, petting his fluffy hair before giving him a small kiss on the head. "And you look so much like him."

"Really?" Cil looked up at me with big, excited eyes. When paying attention, he seemed to understand everything, even if he didn't know how to say things very well.

"Yeah. You look an incredible lot like him." I smiled, happy to see him so happy about something, even if it was rather minor.

Cil suddenly jumped up and ran towards the kitchen, running there before I could stop him.

"Daddy!"

"Cil? Be more careful, you can get hurt when running in the kitchen when we're in here," I heard PJ say.

"Daddy, Fr-r-resh said I looks like you!" Cil exclaimed, so overjoyed at the comment.

I got up to get him from the kitchen. I reached down to pick him up. "Come on, Cil, you shouldn't run off like that."

"But you said!" Cil huffed.

"That's sweet of you, Fresh." PJ tucked his hair behind his ear.

"I was just saying the truth. He does look a lot like you, right?" I raised him a little with how I carried him. "He's just a baby, so you might not be able to see how much like you he is yet."

"Come on, Cil isn't like a mirror image of me or something, if that's what you're trying to say." PJ crossed his arms a little.

"I am saying that. Sure, his hair is a lighter brown, and his eyes are bluish instead of the hazels you have, but he still looks so much like you. I bet his ears and tail are just like yours, too."

"Gammy, I looks like Daddy, right?" Cil called out to Ink.

"Of course you do! He looked just like you do when he was your age."

"Dad!" PJ exclaimed. "He might develop a complex if you keep saying that. I don't want him to worry about looking more like me or trying to look less like me when he grows up."

"I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if he did—"

"Fresh!" PJ growled a little, taking Cil from me.

"What?" I went after him when he tried walking away. I held him by his hips, making him face me a little. "When he has such a beautiful dad, how can you blame him for wanting to be as beautiful."

PJ blushed, trying to keep a stern face. "Don't talk like that or he'll grow up to be a flirt."

"Whatever you say, my dear." I leaned in for a kiss.

Before my lips could touch PJ's, a small hand bapped me in the mouth.

"No kissy! My daddy!" Cil huffed, clinging to PJ.

"Awww, thank you for protecting me!" PJ gave Cil a kiss on the forehead.

"Oww, why did you have such a strong baby?" I rubbed my mouth. It didn't actually hurt that much, but it hurt more than I expected a baby's smack would be.

"Stop complaining. If PJ has the baby now, then you'll be helping make dinner." Ink grabbed my arm, dragging me to the kitchen.

"O-okay!"

"Good luck, Fresh," PJ teased as he left the kitchen.