Chapter 41

Chapter 41

By August, Will has managed to come out of the man cave he made of his room.  The five of us sit at the dining room table deliberating what to do on a lazy Friday.  I feel like they have exhausted everything there is to do in Australia.  They went downtown shopping, to the Sydney Opera House, the aquarium, the bridge, they even visited the beach several times.  Joe passes the crepes around the table.  I serve myself a thin French pancakes and spread Nutella and strawberries onto it, being careful not to rip it.

"Lizzie.  The orange juice please."  Will says, the most words I've heard him speak at a time all week. 

She picks up the pitcher which looks oversized in her small hand and passes it to him.  The awkward silence at the table is unbearable.  Joe and Mom keep giving each other looks, communicating silently and they are probably touching under the table. 

"How about we go to the Darling Harbour?"  My mom asks.

"Yeah guys.  Sounds fun.  We haven't been yet." 

No one says anything.  My eyes remain glued to my plate and I pick at the left over strawberries with my fork, trying to look busy.

"What if we spend the night and the next in a hotel?"  Joe prompts.           

"Yay!  That sounds fun.  I haven't been to a hotel in forever."  I can see that the idea of staying at our house has bored Lizzie. 

"Sounds good.  Hopefully the wifi won't suck."  Will mumbles under his breath. 

I serve myself another crepe, sprinkling it with powdered sugar.  Beside me, Lizzie chugs another glass of orange juice.     

"Lee?"  Mom asks putting down her fork.

"Yeah, I had a date with Calum tomorrow, but...it's fine." 

"Why don't you invite him?"  Joe asks, turning his eyes from me then to mom.  "You guys seem kind of serious and I don't know the lad too well." 

I swallow the un-chewed strawberry in my mouth, "Yeah.  I'll ask him." 

"Alright crew.  It's about noon now.  We'll leave at two."

Lizzie helps me do the dishes then we go upstairs to pack for this small adventure.  My room's not necessarily a mess, but it isn't clean.  Lizzie's belongings are strewn over the room and even my bathroom which I thought was cluttered before with my make up and face wash, is now filled with her kid toothpaste, tooth brush, shampoo, etc.  I close the door to the bathroom to have a little privacy while Lizzie searches for two days worth of clothes.  He picks up on the first ring.

"Long time no see."  I can tell he is smirking over the phone. 

But it's true, though we're both in the same country and in the same city, we've scarcely seen each other.  I think the last time was Luke's birthday.  I've been busy with school work, catching up on the required summer reading and obviously being a musician is more work than it's cracked up to be between hours in the studio and publicity events. 

"Yeah...so remember how we were going to go out tomorrow night?" 

"Yeah."  His voice falls flat.  "...If you have to bail I get it.  You have a lot of work."

"So, it's not actually bailing.  Umm.  We, meaning my soon to be step siblings, step dad, and mom, are going to Darling Harbor."

"Okay..."

"We're spending tonight and Saturday night there and I was wondering if you wanted to come.  I mean Joe invited you actually.  But it is completely fine if you don't want to go. I totally get that it would be awkward."  I bite my lip, not sure what he is going to say.