Chapter 7

"You look adorable when you sleep."  A voice says.

I open my eyes reluctantly and see that I am in a car.

"That's creepy," I mumble.  "Where are we?" 

"Your house.  Come on.  It's really late.  I hope we didn't miss your curfew."  Calum reaches over and unsnaps my seat belt.

We walk up to the front door and stand there.  Neither of us makes a move to leave or walk inside.  It is starting to get a little chilly, so I run my hands over my arms.   

"I don't kiss on the first date, Mr. Hood."

"You are in luck, Miss Castelle, because neither do I."

Cue cricket noises.

"I guess I'll see you...tomorrow?"

"Yeah.  Text me."  He steps down off of the porch and retreats to his car.

I smile and unlock the house door, hearing the engine rev.  I turn and wave to him before entering the house.  The car disappears into the night as I tiptoe inside.  Most of the lights are off, so my mom is either sleeping, working, or not home.  I open the fridge and take a sip of cranberry juice right out of the jug.  There are only two clean glasses left, and my mom doesn't drink cranberry juice anyway because it is all sugar. 

"Where've you been?"  I hear my mother's voice behind me.

I choke on my juice and start coughing uncontrollably.  I pound my fist against my chest and continue to cough.  I wheeze until I can breathe normally.  

"Oh my gosh, you almost gave me a heart attack."

I turn to my mom who has her arms crossed over her chest in a silk robe.

"I was just out...with some friends."  I decide not to tell her that I was alone with Calum. 

"Friends?  Lee, where did you suddenly get friends?"

"Places.  Okay?"  I try to sound convincing.  "I have a job.  I go jogging.  And the band."

"Lee, you're grounded."

"What.  Why?"  I don't know why I am getting so worked up over this.

"For breaking your 10:30pm curfew, and for lying to me about where you were."

"Mom, I'm almost eighteen.  That makes no sense.  What about work?  Why are you allowed to stay out literally until morning, and I can't be an hour late for curfew."  

"Don't be so dramatic.   The tour starts soon.  I sent in your letter of resignation explaining the situation.  Your last paycheck will be coming in the mail.  And I am an adult, Lee.  I am your mother.  You're a child–my child–and I make the rules.  All of this week and the next you are under house arrest.  No leaving.  Then there are a couple more days before their tour starts, so get your shit together..."  She rubs her forehead.  "I am exhausted.  I have been worried sick about you.  I'm going to take my pills and try to get some rest."

I feel like stomping upstairs, slamming the door to my room, and jumping dramatically into my covers.  But even though I'm her child, that doesn't mean I'm a little kid.  Throwing a tantrum won't get me anywhere.  So sulk upstairs and go to bed.

I wake up and want nothing more than to go for a run.  But my mother made it very clear that I am not to set one foot off of the property.  I could jog circles around the house, but the neighbors would probably call the cops.  I take out my phone and send a text to Calum telling him I am grounded.  

I pour myself a bowl of cereal and lie down on the floor leaning against the back of a chair in the living room, next to Atticus.  I eat slowly, counting to thirty while chewing each bite of my Honey Bunches of Oats before swallowing.  I don't even bother changing out of my pajamas when I get back upstairs.  What is the point when I will not be leaving the house?  I turn on my computer and start wasting away the hours on Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr.  My phone starts ringing, so I pick up immediately.