Chapter 25

Chapter 25

        The warmth from my hot chocolate spreads through my hands to the rest of my body.  Spending this Christmas Eve in France is much different than it would be in Seattle.  There is no snow on the ground, but my feet are still cold in my boots with the light rain.  I zip up my jacket and manage to clap with my hot chocolate cup still in my hands.  The audience, consisting mainly of teenage girls starts clapping and whistling.  I wonder if, being in Toulouse, the girls speak English, or if they only care that their idols are actually within ten feet of them.       

        “So guys, we’re going to play another song.  You all probably know it.”  Ashton lets his hair fall into his face, and starts drumming on the bucket he brought to the park. 

        Calum’s hands graze over the strings of his bass and Michael is strumming his guitar.  Luke pushes back the gray beanie on the top of his head and starts singing Mariah Carey-All I Want for Christmas.  I feel myself sway with the music along with the other girls in the crowd around the band.  Calum meets my gaze and a smirk plays across his face. 

        “All I want for Christmas…is you.”  The fans join in with the band as they sing the last verse. 

      When the impromptu concert ends, the fans go wild, clapping and screaming.  The boys go through the mass of fans, signing autographs, taking photos, and giving out hugs.  I wait patiently towards the back until the throng of fans clears the area. 

        “Happy Christmas Eve guys.  That was a lovely performance.”

        “Lee, I’m 99% sure it’s Merry Christmas.”  Luke teases me.

        “Well, I’ll keep that in mind next year.” 

        When we get to the hotel, Michael calls in a couple, meaning a lot, of pizzas.  My mom and Liz come into the suite so the seven of us can eat our luxurious Christmas dinner together.  There is a small Christmas tree, decorated simply by the hotel with white lights and simple blue ornaments.  Santa has not come yet. 

        “It’s already Christmas in Australia.”  My mom comments. 

        “You boys all called your families correct?  Wished them Happy Holidays, sent Christmas cheer, said how much you missed and loved them, right?”  Liz asks.

        “Yeah.  Ashton was FaceTiming his siblings for literally 2 hours early this morning.  He kept me awake.”  Michael complains.

        I can see the sadness in the band's faces, eyes, and body language, about not being home for the holiday.  I turn on my phone to the iTunes radio holiday station in order to get us in the holiday spirit. 

        “I wish we could make holiday cookies.”  I say, tilting my head to get the gob of stringy pizza in my mouth. 

        “I wish I could eat your cookies.”  Luke says, then his eyes widen.  “…No, shut up Michael, that wasn’t supposed to be dirty.  I just meant that I like your baking and…”

        “Lucas Hemmings, do I need to wash that mouth out with some soap?”  Liz asks, but she and my mom are smiling. 

        Luke pulls his hoodie over his head and shrinks into the couch, putting his legs up.  The moms wave goodbye, wishing everyone a happy holiday.  My mom glares at me, wondering why I’m not leaving.  Luke gets up and pulls his mother into a hug by the door.  He is so much larger than her, and she is much smaller, so he completely envelopes her.