Chapter 13

His lips are soft and smooth.  Our mouths slide open, and I breathe him in.  I taste him.  His hand wanders to the side of my face, and I slide my fingers into his hair.  The capsule shifts, and we pull apart.

"Mind reader."  I whisper, a bit breathless.

"Psychic," Calum retorts. 

I lean my head on Calum's shoulder and close my eyes.  It feels like I am on a cloud.  This feels perfect.  My stomach fills with butterflies–the good kind.  I feel lethargic in the best way possible.  My mind feels completely scrambled but also clear.  

Our fingers are laced together like the stitching a friendship bracelet as we walk back to the hotel. 

"Calum...I want us to spend the night together."  I whisper against his ear, reaching up on my tiptoes when we get to a stop light.

"Umm...it's been like...a month.  I don't think..."

"Oh no.  Cal, I didn't mean sex.  I just...I want  us to share a bed.  If you want to, of course.  I know how much you like cuddling so...I don't know.  We don't have to.  It's kind of weird."  We cross the street.  "But, I mean, middle schoolers are having sex after no time at all, so..."

Calum brings his finger to my lips, shutting me up.  I purse my lips against his index finger. 

"That sounds perfect." 

I smile, and a chilling breeze tickles my legs and tugs at my coat.  The walk is only around ten more minutes, so I pull my coat closer around me.

"Cold?"  Calum asks me.

I nod, "Only a little.  I'm fine though."

Calum takes his left arm out of his jacket, I think he is going to give it to me, but instead he instructs me to put my arm around his waist and drapes the other shoulder part of the jacket around me. 

"Warm?"  He asks, his heat radiating against me. 

"Much warmer, thank you...But I bet you just didn't want me to keep your jacket."

"Yes, that is definitely what I am worried most about."

I see our hotel in the distance and am thankful my heels will soon be coming off.  Calum and I smile at the doorman and the receptionist, then take the elevator to our floor.  It is past midnight, so the hotel is quiet.  The dull noise of televisions and conversation as we pass a few rooms. 

"I hope they're asleep," I say as we pass Calum's hotel room. 

Thankfully, the moms' room is on the floor above us, so we don't have to worry about them checking up on us.  I tap my room key on the door and push open the door.

"It definitely smells and looks cleaner in here than the other room," Calum comments. 

The only sign a person is inhabiting this space is my suitcase, closed, but not zipped, by the sliding door to the balcony.  Calum heads into the bathroom to brush his teeth while I dig around in my suitcase.  I find my toiletry bag and stand in front of the bathroom mirror beside Calum.  My feet are cold on the bare tile floor, and my head feels light from the alcohol.  I spit the remaining toothpaste out of my mouth and leave my toothbrush on the counter.

"I'm going to change," I tap his bicep.  "Don't come in." 

"Why not?"  He smirks. 

"Because I'll be in my underwear." 

"But that's literally the exact same thing as a swimsuit, and–unless you're forgetting–I've seen you in a bikini on multiple occasions."  Calum argues, trying to follow me into the bedroom.