Chapter 10

Calum's POV

I glance up and see the three of them strolling over to our terminal seating area, carry-on suitcases in tow.  Lee smiles when she sees me–us–and waves shyly.  I feel my body get a little warm.  

"How are you guys?"  She asks, taking a seat beside me.

We offer a variety of answers: good, hungry, tired.  Ms. Castelle parks her suitcase beside us and pulls up the sleeve of her peacoat to check her watch.  

"Thank you all for being so early," she says.  "I'm sure you know how hectic airports can be."  

We nod our heads, not quite sure how to act around our publicist.  But we can all admit that we've almost missed a flight or two.    

"Mom, I'm going to get a coffee.  Do you want anything?"  Lee asks, standing up. 

"Yes, sweetie.  A salad.  As long as it's vegetarian," she pulls her credit card out of her wallet.  "And be sure to check that the lettuce doesn't look wilted. 

Lee nods her head, probably already considering which salads will have the least wilted lettuce.  

"I'll go too," I try not to sound too eager.  "I could use some...snacks.  Text me what you want, boys." 

"Forty minutes until the flight starts boarding.  Don't be late, please."  Ms. Castelle reminds us, looking at Lee. 

She offers a quick thumbs up and we head toward the stores.  When we're far enough away that Lee's mom can't see us, I brush Lee's hand with mine.  She looks up at me and slips her hand in mine.  Her hand is cold, but it feels natural.  

"Don't you just love airports?"  I can tell she is smiling from her voice.  

"Umm...they're cool, I guess.  Flying is fun."

"Are you kidding?  I mean, just looking around.  There're so many stories.  So much is happening.  People lives are changing!  Families are being reunited or torn apart."  She nods her head in the direction of a woman in pantsuit with a coffee in her hand.  "Like, where is she going?  Why is she in such a hurry?  Is she coming or going?  Here on business or pleasure?  With someone or alone?" 

"That's true.  So what are people thinking when they look at us?"

"You tell me," she squeezes my hand.  

"Well..."

"Hi!"  I feel a finger poke my back.  "I don't wanna interrupt.  But could I get a photo with you.  And you're autograph.  I am in love with your band!  Are the other boys here?  Is your tour starting right now?  I cannot wait to see your concert.  I can't wait until my best friend hears that I met you.  I cannot believe this.  You have no idea how much you mean to me."

I smile and thank her for being a fan.  She shoves her phone into Lee's and asks her to snap a photo of the two of us.   

"'Kay, ready?  Say...kangaroos."  Lee smiles, looking at me and the girl through the lenses of the camera.  "1, 2, 3."

"Kangaroos," we say in unison. 

I sign the girl's phone case with the silver sharpie she hands me, feeling bad for covering the orange and white zigzag stripes.  

"Who's the girl?"  She whispers in my ear as I hunch over to give her a hug.  

"A friend of mine."

"Oh!  She's pretty."

After she scurries off, I pull my hood over my head, hoping not to draw too much attention to myself.  It wouldn't mind signing a few more autographs and taking photos, but I don't want Lee to be overwhelmed.  

"That was adorable," she tells me as I take her hand again.

"There's more where that comes from," I laugh.  "The fans can get pretty wild in Europe.  Crowds outside our hotels.  Chasing our cars down the street.  But they were the ones who got us to where we are, so we're insanely grateful."        

Lee and I browse the aisles of the airport snack shop.  When I think the boys will be pleased with the assortment I check out and wait for Lee with a thick plastic bag swinging in my hand.

"Sorry it took so long.  I didn't want the lettuce to look wilted." 

"No worries.  What'd you get?"  We start walking back. 

"The salad.  Of course."  She makes a grandiose gesture.  "And then..."  She peaks into her bag.  "A few magazines, some snacks.  And the big Starbucks coffee jug.  I thought about getting the espresso energy can but decided to call it a day."

"Are you a caffeine addict or something?"   

"No!  I just don't like sleeping on planes, and the first flight is around twelve hours, then a one-hour layover in Dubai, then about twelve more hours, and we're in Ireland.  So if I drink this whole jug, I should be able to stay awake the whole time.  And I'll get some more in Dubai if I need to."  She says it very matter of factly.  

"You do know you're crazy, right?" 

"Maybe." 

 The next twenty four hours are a blur.  Unlike Lee, I pass out on the plane.  When we get off the plane for the layover, I feel like I'm in a trance.  Nothing feels real.  I just want a shower and to pass out in a hotel bed.  

I don't regain full consciousness until we arrive in Dublin.  It is a little before midnight in Ireland.  We pick up all of our luggage and the band equipment, which feels a lot heavier now than it did on the way here.  Then we pile into the rental car.  Everyone is a little out of it.    

"Calum..." Lee yawns.  "Do you mind if I lean my head on your shoulder?  I won't drool, I swear." 

"That coffee can't keep you going any longer?"

She shakes her head sleepily and places it on my shoulder gently.  I know that her eyes are fluttering closed. 

"She looks like a literal train wreck."  Luke whispers to me as the car rolls out of the airport. 

"I can hear you," Lee exhales and manages to point her finger in Luke's direction. 

"Doesn't mean you don't...look...adorable still," Luke tries.

"Nice save."  She mumbles.

Over the next five days, we settle back into the unforgettable tour schedule: seeing fans everywhere, the energy of each concert, and living in the tour bus some days.  I feel exhausted and energized at the same time.  

The first day in Ireland, well the first official day, after we had slept until eleven, we went out–just me and the boys.  Our tour bus was going to arrive, and the women on this tour were going to get some sort of bus of their own. 

"Calum, it's a freaking Volkswagen bus.  It's navy blue which is better than orange or purple.  But I swear, we are going to look like pedophiles or hippies.  I don't know which is worse.  Why does Modest Management want to ruin my life?"  Lee vented over the telephone.

"I think hippies are hot," I tell her, making sure to keep my voice down on the street.

"Do you want me to let my hair grow out and stop wearing deodorant now?  I bet you will love the almond milk I will now be drinking." 

"Cute, but I wouldn't mind being enlightened.  Like some yoga and meditation right now would be groovy."

"Okay, I am going to end this call before I decide to go home now." 

Our shows in Ireland and Scotland were amazing.  But England was where the craziness really starts to set in.  I started gearing up for the fans to be crazier, the venues to be bigger, and the interviewers to compare us to One Direction. 

One day early because I love you guys.  I hope you are enjoying this so far.  As always.  Please fan, vote, and COMMENT.  Hopefully school for all of you is going well: not too stressed out or overwhelmed.  Haha, high school=so much work and stress.  Enough about that.  Read this.  Thanks for hanging in there.  Don't worry it will get a lot cuter soon. xoxo