Chapter 34

Chapter 34 

        “Calum,” I breathe, meeting his eyes in the crowd. 

       He grins from ear to ear and starts making his way toward me.  I let my suitcase loll out of my hand and start toward him.  I pick up a jog then a light run until I reach him.  I jump into his arms and he spins me around, before I wrap my legs around his waist.  His strong arms hold my back securely.  I thread my fingers into his hair.  

        “I missed you so much.”  I whisper into his ear. 

        “I missed you too.  Fuck, I love you.” 

        “I love you too.” 

        Calum’s hands shift to my thighs before he puts me down.  I stand with my head in his chest, not wanting the moment to be over.  My hands grip his sweatshirt tightly; I don’t want to let go.  Calum pulls away and puts his hands on my shoulders, then leans his head on mine.

        “I missed you so much.”  He whispers weaving his hands into my hair as he pulls me to him one more time. 

        We finally pull apart and I reclaim my bag.  Calum rolls it for me as we walk outside.  He hails a cab and asks the driver to take us to my house. 

        “Are you spending the night?”  I ask.

        “I don’t see why not.  I can always sneak out of the window in the morning.”  He grins. 

        “That probably won’t be necessary.  It’s only ten, but my mom might not be home…”

      "Lee, your mother loves me.”  Calum says.  “Not to toot my own horn, but...she thinks I’m a gentleman.”

        I smile and look down at my fingers.  The taxi pulls into the driveway, and a wave of nostalgia washes over me.  It’s been at least seven months between the tour and 'living' with my dad.  I pull the spare key out of its hiding place.  It fits neatly into the slot.  I step inside the house, quietly, not sure if anyone is home.  I motion for Calum to come in and we creep up to my bedroom.  It is exactly the way I left it: neat and organized and missing all of the winter clothes that are in my suitcase.  I step to the window, looking out at the Sydney skyline, a site I hadn’t realized I had missed.

        “Cal, do you want me to see if I can find some…” I turn to see Calum stripping down to his boxer briefs.  “Nevermind…”

        “Sorry.  If you’re going to be uncomfortable I can leave on my shirt…” Calum says, his foot stuck in his skinny jeans. 

        “No, I’m comfortable if you are.”  I flick on the light and search through my drawers for make shift pajamas. 

        I slip out of my clothes, replacing them with blue and white plaid flannel pants and a gray tank top.  I curl into the bed beside Calum, falling asleep immediately. 

        I wake up alone. 

        “Calum,” I mumble, grasping at the empty blankets. 

      I yawn, ruffling my hair and decide to get out of bed.  I slip into my slippers, my feet become instantly warmer, which helps when I step into the bathroom.  I brush my teeth, my mouth becoming fresh and minty.  Then I wash my face.  I stumble downstairs, very much awake.  The smell of breakfast is wafting from the kitchen.  I smile to myself lazily.