Chapter 16

Even from backstage, I can hear the roar of the audience.  When the eruption almost deafens my ears, I know the band has taken the stage.  Watching the show from backstage, it feels like the I'm watching a movie.  They seem so in their element.  They make it look so easy. 

When the show ends, Calum starts toward me, bass still in hand, from the stage.  His hair is sweaty and beads are glistening on his forehead and arms, but I don't mind.  I let my arms fall over his shoulders while he wraps his around my waist. 

"You guys are so amazing," I whisper before letting him go. 

Honestly, Denmark and Sweden kind of blend together to me.  The routine makes it easier, but it's exhausting.    

After their final show in Sweden, we leave early in the morning to get to Paris.  It's my first time visiting the City of Love, so when I finally wake up, my eyes are glued to the window for the remainder of the drive.  The city is absolutely beautiful: romantic and historic.  The buildings and paths look the way they would have looked during the revolution, minus the blood, riots, and famished people.  It's ten days before Christmas, so the streets are flooded with tourists.  Lots of couples walk hand in hand looking absolutely in love. 

I take a breath and tuck my blouse into my skirt.  The fabric is a little uncomfortable against my collar bone, but maybe I only think that because this is the outfit my mother chose for me. 

"You look very nice," Mrs. Hemmings tells me when she sees me fixing my skirt.

"Thank you." 

"Are you nervous for the interview, Lee?"  My mom asks.

"A little," I admit. 

"You've been seeming a bit anxious for the past couple days."

"It's new to me," I shrug. 

"Honey, it will be just like a college interview, except most of the questions won't be about you.  And we've been practicing and rehearsing, so you have nothing to worry about."

She can say that, but it feels like I have everything to worry about.  

When we arrive at the at the TV station, the fans have already crowded the entrance.  Even though it's raining, they're still here with signs and posters.  I hope they know, that the band isn't being interviewed.  It's just me.  I don't have an umbrella, so I hold my hands over my head in a useless attempt to stay dry.  Girls crowd around us and start asking Liz for autographs and selfies: the famous band mom. 

"How's Luke?"  A girl screams. 

A security member from the television station meets us halfway through the crowd and escorts us into the building.  Most of me is dry.  

Once inside, a woman with a clipboard introduces herself as Jeanne.

"Bonjour.  It's a pleasure to meet you all."  Her French accent is heavy.  "The show starts in an hour.  I love your clothes, but maybe we can do something about that hair.  Follow me."

I wave goodbye to the moms and try to smooth back my wet hair.  Jeanne seats me down in a chair and man starts on my hair.  I try to keep my head from bobbing as he brushes it.  A quick blow dry and then a loose topknot, and says 'Fin.'  I feel like I could have done this myself.  

Immediately after, someone else is called over to do my makeup.  She keeps it light around my eyes and then applies a red lip.  I feel very French.  

When she's done, she leads me to the pre-show room.  I take a seat next to Calum, who looks adorable in a green beanie.

"You're going to do fine.  It's only an interview."  He rubs my arm.