Chapter 53

Chapter 53

Pulling into the hospital, the cab is one of the only cars on the rode.  I pay the driver, giving him a reasonable tip, and head inside.  Rushing through the automatic doors, the bright, fluorescent lights and white walls seem too harsh for my eyes.  I walk to the front desk, twisting my fingers, wanting to get their quickly, but not wanting to run.  

"Hi.  I'm here to see a patient-Calum Hood."  I tell the young nurse trying to sound calmer than I feel. 

She looks up at me then pulls her glasses down onto the bridge of her nose.  Her hands type away rapidly, until I see the computer screen change through the reflection of her glasses.  

"Are you family?"  She asks, eyes still trained on the screen. 

"No but..."  I start.  

"Then you cannot see him right now, I'm sorry."  

"But all his family's overseas right now.  He doesn't..."

She cuts me off, "I'm sorry.  Please have a seat."  She jerks her head toward the waiting area.  

I take a deep breath, fists clenched by my side.  

"Thank you," I manage and walk over to find a seat.  

There are only a couple other people in the waiting room, all involved in their own activities.  One man, older, probably around sixty, has fallen asleep with his glasses on the tip of his nose and a magazine in his lap.  Another younger woman is quickly tapping something out on her laptop.  I pull my phone out of my bag.  Luke: We're on our way.  Is everything okay.  

I tap out a quick reply, not sure what to say: he's fine?  I'm not sure?  I haven't been able to see him yet?  It's four in the morning and I'm in the hospital: exhausted and stressed for ten million different reasons? 

I pull a bag of chips out of my bag and start eating.  I wipe the grease on my pants, not wanting to find a napkin.  My phone buzzes in my pocket and I pick up the call. 

"Hey, Ashton."  I say, trying to sound more awake then I feel.  

"Hey, Lee.  We're at the pharmacy.  Do you want anything?  Figured it would be a long night..."

"Actually that sounds amazing.  Can I get: coffee, soda, chips, and Twizzlers?"  

"You got it.  See you soon...Hang in there."  

I wait for the line to go quiet.  The other line stays on, but he doesn't say anything for a while.   

"Lee, he's going to be fine."  Ashton tells me, but it sounds more like he's trying to reassure himself. 

The line goes dead and I am left virtually alone in the hospital waiting room.  I pull my legs to my chest and try to keep from shaking.  No one is looking at me, but I feel like all eyes are on me.  Sucking in  a breath, I close my eyes for a second.  My hands are shaking, but I still manage to pull out my phone and swipe open: no new texts. 

Twenty minutes later, three gangly Australian band members stomp into the waiting room.  Ashton walks straight to the receptionist, eyes trained ahead.  He flashes her a smile and props his elbows up on the counter.  Luke and Michael sit down on either side of me.  Luke pulls me into his chest for a moment.  I force my breathing to slow down.  The CVS bag crinkles loudly as Michael rummages around inside of it to hand me my snacks. 

"Are you okay?"  He ask, eyebrows knotted together. 

"Not really, but I'm fine."  I reply honestly, tearing into my bag of chips.