Chapter 29

Chapter 29

                                                        (Lee’s POV)

                                                        December 31, 2014 

        My fingers hover hesitantly over the keyboard.  What should I say?  I sigh, knowing that I need to start.  Everyone else in the hotel is partying apparently, I guess that’s what normal people do on New Year’s Eve.  I on the other hand, have my college application due in 3 days.  So…I am screwed.  I shove a towel underneath the door, trying to muffle the loud music and partying.  I slip into my WSA sweatpants and a tee shirt and try to think.  I have five essay topics to choose from and I am completely blanking out.

        Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.   

        Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure.  How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?

        Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea.  What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?

        Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content.  What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?

        Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family. 

        They’re all so basic and boring.  Is this really what colleges want from its applicants?  I mean, it would be so simple to carve out a lie or embellish something that really meant nothing.  I grasp at my head, trying to force myself to choose a topic.  Just pick a number, or randomly poke the screen, I tell myself.  But this is too important an essay to choose randomly.  My phone starts vibrating on the immaculate hotel desk, and happy for a distraction, I pick up. 

        “Oh, hi dad.”  I say, my voice low and monotone.

        “Lee…how is your app coming?” 

        “It’s…coming,” I lie and stare at the blank Word document in front of me. 

        “…Okay.  Finish it before tomorrow so you can email it to me to read through before sending it in.”

        I roll my eyes, and wish he could see how annoyed I am.  “”Kay sure thing.  Bye.”

        “Lee, Happy New…”

        I end the call before he can finish.  I know what he’s going to say though.  It’s the same greeting that people have been passing around for the past three days: Happy New Year. 

        “Happy New Year!”  I hear several very familiar Australian accents. 

        Turning, I see Calum and Luke striding into my room. 

        “Your mom gave us a key card.”  Luke tells me.

        I nod, glad that they didn’t break in or bribe the front desk.  Calum comes behind me and kisses my neck.  A shiver runs through my body and I try not to tremble in the chair.  He wraps his arms around me and rests his chin on my shoulder.