Chapter 47

"Calum, you really don't have to come." I say, lowering my voice as I walk across the quad.

Spring in California is like a hot Summer everywhere else. I balance my phone on my shoulder and pull up my pants. Though it's burning outside, every building is air conditioned to an excessive degree.

"Lee, I'm coming. I haven't been to any of your track meets this season and I want to be there cheering you on. We're in California anyways for a talk show."

"Fine, I just want you to be focused on writing and the band and all that."

"I am," Calum whines over the phone. "But I'm also trying to be focused on you. I haven't seen you since your mom's wedding in December. December Lee. That's a long fucking time. I feel like we haven't talked I've been busy and you've been busy with your collegiate life and..."

"Calum...okay. I'll see you tomorrow okay? I have to get to class." I bite my lip, my hand poised on the door handle to the lecture hall.

"'Kay. Have fun, love you."

"Thanks, love you too."

I find my seat somewhere in the back of the classroom because it's math and wait until class starts. The professor walks in, an old man with gray thinning hair and rolls into the lesson. He's a fast talker and he barely stops, so by the end of the lecture my handwriting is an absolute disaster. I hope I'll be able to read what I wrote. As we walk out of the class, the TA hands back our essays. I shove mine in my backpack and walk to US history. At the end of the class day I head back to the dorm, my backpack heavy in my arms.

The dorm room looks empty without Margaret's stuff. I know that she's happier in a sorority though, plus I have more space for my things. Olivia keeps pushing me to get a couch or a futon, but there are already couches in the common room and it would be a hassle to put together. I slip into my track gear, keeping in mind the scorching California weather. Then I walk to the track. Since we have a meet tomorrow practice will be light, but our coach is a stickler about timeliness and I don't want to get on his bad side.

"Hey Emily!" I say, jogging up to her.

"Hey, ready for tomorrow?" She asks.

"No. What about you?"

"I'm ready, but I'm nervous. You know? Like the jitters. I know that this meet doesn't really matter plus we're freshmen, but I still want to do well."

"Yeah...I get it. So, what are you doing after the meet?" I ask, pulling my hair up into a hair tie.

"Nothing really. Studying of course, why?"

"Well...you don't have to come, but my boyfriend's visiting and he's bringing a couple of his friends of course and I love them, but I just haven't seen them in a while and we were gonna watch a movie, get dinner, maybe go out. I just wanted to know if you wanted to join."

"Umm...as long as it's not awkward. It sounds fun. I've been wanting to meet your mysterious boyfriend for a while, what's his name again?"

I unlock my locker at the gym and cram my bag inside. Emily changes quickly into black running shorts and a black tank top despite the hot weather.

"It's Calum," I reply smiling at the mention.

"Ugh. You're blushing, that is so cute. I can't wait to meet him."