Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Calum's POV

"Will, does this look okay?"  I ask, tucking my blue button down into my black jeans.

"Yeah...why?"  He replies, not looking up from his phone.

"This is dinner with Lee's mom and her soon to be stepdad and I want to look nice.  It's bad enough that I dropped out of school to be in a punk band; most parents tend to dislike that kind of guy."  I sift my hands through my hair trying to smooth it out.  "Seriously can you just..."

Will groans loudly, but looks me over.  Then he gives me a simple thumbs up and sarcastic smile. 

"Put on a shirt and let's go."  I tell Will, shoving my phone into my pocket.

He complies reluctantly and we make our way to The Blue Fish.  Outside it isn't too cold out: probably somewhere in the low fifties which is much warmer than some of America's New England locations during January through April really.  We enter the restaurant and I see Lee, Lizzie, and Joe and Daniela waving at us.  I smile at the hostess but walk past her to the table looking out on the bay. 

"Sorry we're late," I say quickly, sliding into the seat in between Lee and Lizzie.

"We haven't ordered yet," Lee replies quietly, letting me share her menu.

"You look really nice," I whisper in her ear. 

"Thanks."  She smiles and flattens her nautical white and navy striped dress.

"Hi, I'm Jessica.  I'll be your server today.  May I take your drinks order?"  A bubbly red head asks with her pen poised in her hand.

Joe orders a bucket of white wine for the table while Will begrudgingly asks for a Coke and Lizzie a glass of apple juice.  Jessica comes back with a plate of bread and calamari while the chef works on our main courses.

"Will, phone away at the table."  Joe says.

I awkwardly tear a piece of the bread off and put it in my mouth. 

"So...Calum, Daniela's been telling me about your band.  Sounds pretty cool," Joe dips his calamari in the marinara sauce.

"Yeah...I mean when people say it, it still doesn't sound real: the fact that people actually know about us and like our music.  I'm spending time with my best friends doing what I love.  And it was great having Lee with us for a lot of it."  I pause, and look over at Lizzie, whose eyes are glued to me. 

She takes a big gulp of her juice, "What's living on a tour bus like?  I would love to do that.  It would be like a year long slumber party."

"It's pretty great, Lizzie.  If you've ever been in an RV it's kind of like that.  But we sleep a lot, eat a lot, and game a lot.  But...how's school for you Liz?" 

"Uh, I'm going to be in the second grade soon, but I left first with all A's so I think I'm ready.  Science was kind of hard, but Will helped me out." 

It looks like Will is about to say something else, but Jessica comes back with our food.  When everyone has their plates, I start on my shrimp.  We eat in silence, occasionally stopping to comment on the quality of the food or beauty of the view.  Lee rubs her hand against my thigh, encouragingly.  Joe and Daniela periodically ask me questions and look up at me from their lobster.      

"Can I get you guys anything for dessert?"  Jessica asks when all of our dinner plates are cleared.  "We have...ice cream, passion fruit and white chocolate soufflé, Toblerone, affogato, fudge shop waffle and banana split, almond biscotti, chocolate brûlée, and mango eton mess."  She taps the pen on her notepad.