Chapter 2

Thursday rolls around, and I roll out of bed.  Radley is sleeping in his cat bed in the corner of my room, and I wish I too only had feline responsibilities.  My vision is blurred from my deep sleep, but I manage to stumble into the bathroom anyways.  Ten minutes and then I'm back in my bedroom pulling on dark jeans and a top.  Radley stretches as I bring him into my arms.  

"Hello, kitty," I coo and stroke his back.

He purrs, and I feel his body go limp in my arms.  I am somehow able to pour myself a bowl of cereal and sit down in the TV room with Radley still in my arms.  I adjust my arm underneath him and turn on the television.  I hear my mom shuffle downstairs and the smell of coffee wafts throughout the house.  

"Lee, could you please make a cake for our hosts tonight."  

I'm a little surprised by her sharp tone when I would be the one doing her a favor.  

"Sure.  Fine."  I don't want to start a fight at nine in the morning.   

I rub Radley, being sure to go in the right direction, and finish my breakfast. 

"I don't have a life, Radley.  That's why I have the time to bake a cake for people I have never met.  And do not want to meet."  I whisper to the gray tabby in a baby voice. 

I swipe the keys and credit card from my mom and drive to the store for cake supplies.  The store is familiar now.  Baking supplies in aisle four.  Cereals in aisle six.  Canned goods in aisle seven.  After checking out, I decide to kill some time; a walk down main street never hurt anybody.  It's Thursday, but a lot of people are out.  An older couple walks into a ice cream shop while a boy on a skateboard shreds it on the other sidewalk.  None of the cars passing by seem to be in too much of a hurry.  An orange Volkswagen bug passes, and behind it I see a bakery with a 'Help Wanted' sign in the window.  I cross the street, not quite sure if jaywalking is illegal in the country.  I walk inside the shop, the air cooling my skin and the scents of fresh baked breads and treats tickling my nose.  I breathe in deeply, and walk past the café tables and chairs to the back where the glass cases of treats and the cash register are.

"Hi, I'm here about the 'Help Wanted' sign."  I say trying to sound confident.

The older woman behind the counter dusts off her hands to shake mine and introduce herself: Anna.  She walks into the back briefly.

"Here's the application.  Fill it out and we'll get back to you.  May I help you with anything else?"  She's exactly what I would expect a bakery owner to look like.

I glance at the menu above her head.

"Hmm.  May I please have the black and white cookie and a coffee?"  

"Of course, hon."

A bell rings as the door to the shop opens, and I dart my eyes over at the new customer.  He's tall with dark hair, bushy eyebrows, and big lips.  I try not to stare at his tattoos peaking out from his rolled up sweatshirt as he peruses the pastry cases.  I redirect my attention to behind the counter in the back where a man kneads bread.  The flour puffs around him, and he wipes his face with the sleeve of his white shirt.  

"Here you are, sweetie."  Anna hands me my cookie and drink.  

I smile at her and turn to leave, but I feel myself run into something.  My drink spills out of my hand, and I drop the application papers.  

"I am so sorry," I say, flustered.  "Oh my gosh."

I reach onto a nearby table and grab several napkins then start dabbing off a blue hoodie.  I look up, and he looks amused not angry.