Chapter 31

I tear into the hotel room in a frantic haze.  I immediately go for my suitcase and start running around trying to get my shit together.

        "Lee...what's wrong?"  Calum asks, standing in the doorway.

        "Umm..." I try to focus on his question, while messily folding my clothes and placing them into my unorganized suitcase.  "Shit...what should I wear on the plane?"

       "Wait...did you just say plane?  Lee, why are you packing?"  I scuttle past Luke to find my running shoes somewhere underneath the bed. 

        "Well..." 

        All eyes are on me at this point.  Even hungover Ashton has stopped pouting and is giving me his full attention.  I run my hands uneasily through my matted hair.

        "Umm...I actually have a college interview tomorrow and my dad decided it was a good idea to book my flight without telling me.  And it leaves in like five hours."

        None of them respond; it is silent, save the annoying chatter on the TV.  I bite my lip, not sure how I expected them to react.   

        "So...what do you guys think I should wear on the plane?"  I shrug. 

        Michael reaches over and starts rummaging through my suitcase. 

        "This," he pulls out several pieces of clothing. 

        "Trusting you.  'Kay thanks.  I'm going to go put this on." 

       I scoop the clothes into my arms and step into the bathroom.  Calum follows behind me.  He closes and locks the door.  My feet are cold against the bare tile floor.  I slide my clothes onto the counter, not yet turning to look at Calum.  He comes behind me and rests his chin on the top of my head.  I feel him nestle his nose into my hair and I close my hands around his.

        "Don't go," he moans softly, pulling me closer to him.

        His strong bicep over my shoulder makes it impossible for me to move.  My breath catches in my throat and I choke for a second.  Calum loosens his grip and I turn around to him.  He slides onto the floor and I slip out of my clothes.  Calum smiles, so I toss my tee shirt at him. 

        "Stop looking so dejected."  I say, when he remembers that I'm leaving.

        He grumbles and whines stomping his feet and flailing his arms.

        "I am dating a seven year old," I smile.

       The dark washed skinny jeans take longer to get on than usual, but I manage.  Then I pull my signature green sweater over my bra.  I take my brush aggressively to my hair and put it into a lazy high bun, then swipe on two minutes worth of makeup. 

        "Calum, get up."  I say, then walk out of the door in search of my boots. 

        Luke is sitting on the edge of my bed, refolding all of the clothes that Michael ruined.

        "Luke, you didn't have to."  I say, holding the suitcase down while he zips it.

        "Nothing else to do," he shrugs. 

        I look around the hotel a final time before pulling the suitcase off of the bed.  I shove the rest of my things, my phone, wallet, gum, etc. into my leather bag to be my carry on.

        "So...umm...boys, my flight leaves from JFK soon, so...I'm going to go."  I shrug,  not exactly sure what to say.

        "Do you have your boarding pass?"  Luke asks.