Chapter 11

Lee's POV           

I yawn and stretch my arms, making baby dinosaur noises while tossing off my cover.  I glance around my room.  It's not mine.  Television, mini fridge, desk.  This is a hotel room.  I'm not in Sydney–not even in Seattle.  I'm on tour.  It takes me a minute to register that I am in a hotel room and not in my room in Australia or even Seattle.  

I walk to the bathroom and get ready quickly.  If I'm late to the lobby, I'm sure my mom wouldn't mind leaving me behind if it meant getting the band to the next venue on time.  I slip on jeans and a sweater then shove my stray clothes and toiletries in my suitcase.  I unplug my phone charger and hurry down to the lobby. 

"Come on.  Come on."  I push the call button for the elevator a few more times.  

I sigh in relief when I get to the lobby.  I can see the buses outside.  There's the tour bus and Baby Bus, as Ashton deemed it, because it's small and 'has probably seen a couple hippie babies mad.'  I slide open the door to Baby Bus and take a seat in the back seat.  

"Oh, sweetie, you should ride in the bus with people your age."  Mrs. Hemmings suggests.

My face brightens, but I try to play it cool, "I don't know.  They're probably bonding or something, and I'd only mess up their dynamic."

"Honey, I've spent months on that bus, and let me tell you.  All those young men do is act like dorks and idiots.  I, of course, enjoy talking with your lovely mother more than those boys, but I think we both know who you would rather spend time with."  Mrs. Hemmings reads my mind.

"'Kay, Mom, is it okay?"  I ask leaning into the front.

She hesitates for several seconds, "Sure."

"Thank you.  Thank you," I try not to act too excited.   

Knocking on the tour bus door, the driver is reluctant to let me in.   A teenage girl knocking on the door to a famous band's bus does seem pretty suspicious.  He must have seen it all.  Fans begging for everything: concert tickets, backstage passes, hugs, autographs, used Kleenex, even.  I knock a second time, giving the driver a haven't-you-seen-me-hanging-out-with-the-boys look.  Thankfully, Luke walks forward to see what the ruckus is.  When we make eye contact, I smile and wave.  The bus driver opens the door and apologizes.

"Lee!  You're finally riding with us!"  Michael exclaims. 

The bus starts rolling, and they give me a tour: their bunks, the bathroom, the tables, their Xbox and video game assortment, and the like.

"So what does my mother have planned to boost publicity today?"  I ask, taking a seat at the table with the boys. 

"She's actually on a roll," Ashton sounds excited.  "Not so much for us.  Because it'll be a lot of work.  But the fans will definitely appreciate it.  They'll get to know us better." 

"Yeah.  So today.  Well, we left the hotel at like 5:30, so we'll get to England around..."  Michael thinks for a second.

"Around 7," Luke interjects.  "Then your mom scheduled an interview for us at 8:30 and at 3 we have a meet and greet."

"So basically you don't have time to relax and enjoy the other parts of Manchester until..."  I try to do the math.   

"6ish, 7ish.  Sounds right to me," Ashton replies to my question.  "But we usually don't even have that time."   

"Don't be that girl, Lee."  Luke says.

"What girl?"  I raise my eyebrow. 

"The one who whines about how the guy she's seeing never spends time with her, even though he's working."