Chapter 27

Chapter 27

                                                        Calum’s POV

        I excuse myself from the table a bit early and head back to the room.  I am full from the pizza.  I feel like a fat person after that American holiday Thanksgiving.  But I am not excusing myself from the table where the band and Mrs. Hemmings are eating to throw up in the toilet or pop a Pepto Bismol.  I am leaving because it’s been over five hours since I’ve seen Lee.  Now, that probably sounds really overprotective and overbearing.  But she seemed a little upset when she slinked out of the hotel room, and we are in a foreign city, foreign country, foreign continent.  I know she speaks the language…of love…but she could still get lost.  In the elevator I pull out my phone, something I only did several times at the dinner table, not wanting to seem too rude or engrossed, but no texts or missed calls have come through.  I’m pretty sure it is cold enough for someone to die of pneumonia if the weather drops from 40 degrees, and she was only wearing a tank top and shorts.  My girlfriend is not always the sharpest tool in the shed.  Speaking of…

        “Lee?”  I ask. 

        She is on the ground in front of my hotel room, her legs sprawled out on the floor.  She pushes herself off of the ground and smiles weakly.  I can tell that she has been crying, puffy cheeks, red nose, but maybe that’s just from the cold.  I pull my room key out of my pocket and insert it quickly into the slot then open the door. 

        “Do you mind if?” 

        “Not at all.  You look like Olaf from Frozen.”  I joke.  “Just…because, you’re really cold...not fat…I’ll, I'll make you a cup of coffee.”

        Lee follows me to the kitchenette, sniffling, while I try to work the coffee machine.  So, there’s the machine, and these thin paper things, some sort of cup, actual coffee grounds.  I bite my lip, then put the things the way I assume they would go, crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.  Lee is on the stool staring at her hands, shaking a bit. 

        I find my suitcase in the pile of our things and rummage around.  I emerge and slip her into my blue sweatshirt, pulling one of my red beanies over her head. 

        “You have to promise you won’t steal the hoodie.”  I say jokingly. 

        “Fine, but I make no promises about the hat.”  She smiles a bit.

        I go to the coffee maker and pour the dark liquid into a coffee cup.

        “Do you want sugar or cream or…”

        She shakes her head, “I’m fine.  Thank you so much.”

        My hands touch hers when I give her the mug. 

        "Shit, you are freezing.” 

        “I was outside for like four hours.  This was not the best Christmas.”  She grumbles, not acting like her chirpy, deep self at all.

        “It was your first Christmas with us.  You’ve just got to give us a chance.”  I smile.  “I love my snapback by the way.  Thank you.” 

        “I’m glad you like it.  I thought you would, and…Seattle.  My…my…my dad took me to a couple of their games before they relocated to Oklahoma.  I was little, but…I still have a vague memory in my mind.”