Chapter 37

Chapter 37

                                                        (Lee’s POV)

        For some reason the kitchen looks much smaller when Joe is in it.  He’s not a big guy, 6’ 2” tops, and he is neither fat nor overly muscle-y.  He just seems to take up a lot of space.  He and my mom are making pancakes, and being disgustingly adorable, helping each other flip the pan with their arms wrapped around each other.  I look away, my eyes wandering to the cats’ food then the couch.  My mother detaches herself from Joe and kisses me on the top of my head. 

        “Happy birthday, sweetie.”  She smiles. 

        “Thanks,” I mumble, wiping the crumbs from my eyes. 

        She strolls over to the fridge and pulls out the strawberries.  I know that she is going to pick out the heavy whipping cream to make whipped cream too.  For as long as I could remember, this was my birthday tradition: pancakes made from scratch, whipped cream, fresh cut strawberries, and syrup of course. 

        Since her engagement to Joe, or maybe since I got into college, my mom has been in a much better disposition.  It sound cliché but I forgot how happy she could really be.  I swivel in my chair then reach down to pet Atticus. 

      “How does nineteen feel?”  Joe asks me, slipping another pancake onto the large serving platter.

        I yawn, still tired from my crazy night of Netflix and Pinterest. 

        “The same,” I reply.  “I mean, I still can’t vote or drink, legally…so.” 

        My mom looks up when I say drink, but quickly returns to the sharp knife in her hand.

        “Mom…have you seen my phone?”  I ask, changing the subject quickly.

        “Umm…I think I saw it on the living room coffee table.”  She replies quickly.

        I groan, but stand, and stumble into the living room.  I swipe it off of the table and try to clean it with my Captain America sweatpants.  I power on my phone, anxious to check my texts, Instagram, and Tumblr. 

        “Lee, we’re about to eat, put your phone away.”  My mother scolds, sliding a plate in front of me.

      I tuck it in my pocket resentfully, but direct my attention toward breakfast.  Staying with the tradition, I place a pancake on my plate, spread out a heaping dollop of whipped cream, then organize the strawberries on the top.  Joe sticks a candle in it and, always prepared, pulls out a lighter.  There are no lights to turn off, so I close my eyes, thinking of my wish, then blow it out.  My mom claps, a sound that fills the room and startles Radley, who scampers quickly out of the kitchen.  I hear him padding up the stairs.  Joe and my Mom sit down in the swivel, kitchen chairs.  I am glad my mom didn’t insist we go into the dining room for a real sit down meal. 

      “Thank you guys for breakfast.”  I smile, wiping the whipped cream off of my mouth with my napkin. 

        “Not a problem, Lee.”  My mom responds while Joe nods. 

        “Any plans for the day?”  He asks finally, sliding the strawberries my way. 

        I shake my head, “I don’t think so.  Staying in, seeing how I don’t really have any friends.”