Chapter 45

Chapter 45

I gather my papers quickly at the end of the psychology lecture.  Around me other students are rushing to pack up and get on with their days.  I slip my laptop into my bag last and stand.  A week into school, I'm already exhausted.  Between classes, clubs, and prepping with Margaret for more Greek week, I've hardly had time to call Calum, Lizzie, or my mom.  I mosey back to my dorm, ready to spend my Friday night watching Netflix and eating chips.  I strip out of my striped dress and shoes, snatching my towel off of my closet door, for my shower.  The bathroom is empty, so I take the shower against the wall and put my iPhone and speakers on the shelf where people put their shower caddies.  'Heartbreak Girl' blares through the acoustically pleasing bathroom.  The water starts running, beading over my body, and I let it wash over my face.  I rinse my hair and condition it.  After two songs I decide to get out.             

I ring out my hair, putting it up in a bun.  When I'm completely dry I slip into my boy-shorts, loose navy pajama shorts, and a white tank top.  I replace my speakers with my shower caddy.  I walk into the common room, thankfully it's empty on a Friday night which is a bit bizarre.  My finger hovers over my phone, but I press the home button and tap out Calum's number.  It rings and he doesn't pick up.  I call again and he picks up on the last ring. 

"Hey Cal, did I interrupt something?"  I ask biting my lip. 

"Um, no.  I mean I was working on...nothing, what's up?"  He sounds tired. 

"It's just been a while.  I wanted to know how you are...My classes are so time consuming and I might pledge a sorority so I'm going to have to juggle that as well." 

"Wow, Lee that's great.  There's been a lot of banding.  We've been in and out of the studio all month.  I basically live at Luke's house because it's closer to the studio..."  I hear someone else mumbling on the line and a drum beat.  "I actually have to go, though.  I'm so sorry, but I'll call you back later.  'Kay?  Bye." 

"Bye," I say into the dead receiver.                                              

I pull my legs to my chest trying to keep my breathing even.  I didn't know long distance was this difficult.  I bite my lip and close my eyes, then I force myself up and walk back into my room.  Margaret is gone, probably hooking up with some guy to be honest or getting turnt on a Friday.  I pull out a bag of oven baked Lay's chips and set up Scandal on my laptop. 

I wake up to the smell of coffee wafting through the dorm.  I open my eyes tentatively not quite wanting to give up the warmth of my dream.

"Come on Lee, today's the third day of Rush and it's already ten.  I brought you a hazelnut latte from Starbucks and a cronut."  Margaret's chipper voice rings in my ears.

I rub my eyes and see that she's left the drink and donut on my desk and she's sitting on her bed.  I toss off the blanket and reach for the coffee, taking a long gulp to wake me up.                   

 "Rush starts at seven."  I remind her. 

"Yeah, I know.  But we have to choose our outfits, paint our nails, do our make up, fix our hair, and run through questions.  You look like...you had a long night, so you should probably hit the shower." 

I hop in the shower really quickly and Margaret insists that I blow dry my hair, so I comply. Margaret tries to help me with my make up, but I refuse, the last thing I need is to look like I'm going to a cheer competition.  I put lotion on my legs then slide on my sleek nude platform heels.  It's preference night, so Margaret insists I wear a dress.  She seems like she actually knows what she's talking about so I search through my closet for a nice formal dress.  I slip a chiffon baby blue dress with low v-neck and cinched waist over my head after coming back from dinner.  It comes to my mid-thigh, but it looks long compared to Margaret's short, white, quarter sleeve dress.  It could get scandalous if she bends over.  I put in small pearl earrings, a necklace, and pull out my blush pink large clutch.  Margaret returns from the bathroom after brushing her teeth.  I reapply my lipstick then tuck it in my clutch with my student ID, phone, gum, and wallet.  Outside I hear other girls prepping for one of the final nights of Rush.  And the smell of flat irons and curlers and perfume is wafting around the room.  I braid my hair on one side and pull it into a ballet bun, then step outside with Margaret.  Other girls in the dorm are squealing over Rushing.