32

After

They did it

They did it. Somehow they managed, somehow they were still here. But that didn't come without a price, everyday, someone paid the price. Today was that day for Juliet. For some it might seem silly, but she did loose something, something very important to her. After they made it to the gate, McKay and Juliet had put two cars that were parked on the side of the road on neutral, and pushed them against the gate as he got the broken chain and tied it as best he could, it wasn't much, but it worked. Since they had been out of sight, those Revenants wouldn't care about them in a few hours or so.

Getting as far away as they could from the overrun community, the two didn't talk at all during the long walk. Juliet stayed with her arms crossed, looking down at the road, her face and clothes red with blood and her eyes threatened to get teary. But she didn't want to cry, not now. She was never one to cry, it happened maybe less than once every year. She didn't have nothing to cry about, no one to cry for, but now she really did. Juliet just didn't want to cry in front of anyone, she never had to, the girl didn't even know if it was sociably normal to cry in front of someone. To her it was very intimate.

As the day got progressively darker, the two found a small house, with only one bedroom, Tom cleared the inside which took a while, but they got in anyways, even though they were very tired, they didn't sleep, instead the two were seated on the couch. Tom was tending to his guns, and some of Juliets while she stayed still, just looking at the hung up television that was dusty and black, of course nothing was playing. Her arms were crossed, and her wounded back leaned into the white cushion, now that's he thought about it, it would be good to change the bandages.

Occasionally, Tom would glance at her, he wanted to say something, say that he was sorry, but he couldn't bring up the courage. Instead of him breaking the hours work of silence, she did it for him, just like she always did. It was like she could tell when something was on his mind, and he appreciated that. "Did you find anything?" Juliet questioned, her voice was relatively quiet, but sounded so loud when it was compared to the silent atmosphere they put themselves through for the remainder of the day.

"Yeah, at least I hope so." He answered, but he didn't want to listen to the tape yet, he figured he had enough for today and needed his mind to rest. Turning her head to the right to look at him, she gave a sad smile. "I'm sorry they weren't there." Juliet apologized with sympathy, even though this isn't what he was hoping for, part of him saw this coming. But it amazed her how well he kept it together, and kept a level head, but even though the calm demeanor, she could tell he was sad and heartbroken. "Thanks, but don't worry about it." Tom appreciated her empathy, but it was his thing to worry about, he didn't want her to feel that she was responsible.

"I'm really sorry about what happened to Daisy..." he finally said, once those words came out of his mouth, he felt like he could finally breath. It was something he had been meaning to say ever since he closed the gates, he felt bad for Juliet, and felt grateful that Daisy had saved him, if she hadn't done what she did back there, he would've been bitten, and that would've assured death. "She was getting old anyways..." was all she said, which was true, she already had grey hair on her snout. Tom was pretty sure she just said that not to get into the death of her longtime companion.