51

One Step Closer

"Oh wow look who finally make it

"Oh wow look who finally make it." Tom commented with annoyance as he watched Charlie being escorted inside the confidential room by two other soldiers. They had been waiting for ten minutes as Asia went searching for him. "Sorry." Charlie apologized to Reese, ignoring Tom all together. "Oh don't worry about me, I'm just your new leader is all. By all means don't follow my commands." Reese responded sarcastically.

"I was busy, okay?" he said defensively. He didn't know why he kissed Juliet, he just did. He knew it was a bad idea. Now it just confused things even more. What was more confusing that Juliet had no idea what was going on. "So looks like Juliet didn't listen to you guys..." Tom started off with just to break the ice. "Yeah we can tell. At least she didn't get anyone killed." Reese responded in exasperation. Now she had another loose cannon to worry about.

"She killed 13 people." Charlie reminded a bit shocked they had disregarded that fact. "Yeah, but not your people so it doesn't matter." Tom defended quickly. "It was bound to happen anyways." He added. "What do your guys want to do about her?" Reese questioned. "They think it was just a one time bandit situation. They've got more important things to focus on. Like attacking all of you."

"Any new updates?" Reese questioned, her body leaning slightly over the table. "More guys are coming in by the week. And someone else knows..." Tom informed. With wide eyes, they all looked at him. "What do you mean someone else knows?" Charlie asked with worry, his arms crossed over his chest. "My dad took on the mission. So he's here now. I had to tell him. We can trust him. I promise."

While Reese was a bit worried, she figured Tom was trustworthy, so his work had to count for something. "Bring him next time. I have to meet him before I feel comfortable with him in our operation." Reese requested, it was the way she would get a good read on who she was dealing with. Tom gave her a strong nod in response.

"Be ready for an attack soon. I don't know when but maybe's within the next two months. I'll give you a signal." The man added. After that, Reese dismissed the people around the table, leaving Tom and Charlie. Just as Reese and Charlie were about to leave as well, Tom spoke up quickly. "When can I see her?" Juliet was the only reason he was doing this in the first place. "Not soon. Preferably never." Charlie coldly told him.

"Maybe once she relaxes a bit. We have to ease all of this onto her slowly." this the sad best approach Reese could think of. She knew Juliet would be confused is all of this was piled on quickly. "I don't think she should be involved." Charlie mentioned to Reese. "Maybe not now, but when it comes down to it we will. When a fight starts we need her. She's smart and resourceful." Reese knew it was an environment she didn't mind.

"Sooner or later we have to get you used to the colony as a whole first. You and your father must be accepted, or else we can have more conflict. Right now we all have to be on the same page." That made Tom real nervous. He knew what he did was bad. He wasn't expecting anyone to forgive him. All he did was nod, swallowing a lump in his throat.