"Stay"

I laugh in annoyance as I'm practically dragged to this big building. Kaydence laughs at my groans and helps me out of the car.
"Shit this is huge" I say, fumbling to close her car door "yeah I know, I think you'll like it though!" I roll my eyes and hear the click of her car locking.

We enter the building through giant glass doors with gold trim. We both share a stare of aw at this place. Champagne walls, lots of people, ice bucket with drinks, and a staircase that must go on for eternity. She nudges my arm "hey, I'm gonna get a drink over there, wanna come?"

She points to the ice bucket, and ready made cocktails on a rolling cart. "That's okay, one of us has to drive home tonight" she smiles, squeezes my arm, then walks off. I try not to look so out of place, and just slowly walk around. I try to notice the people here, and if I recognize any of them.

So far, none. Kaydence walks back with a cup of wine in hand.
"aren't you fancy." she rolls her eyes
"this shit is the expensive kind, I'm not passing it up!" I laugh and continue to stare at people. After a few minutes of walking around this place a tall man walks up to us
"oh fuck y/n it's David!" I look at her confused and whisper back "who?"

He's already approached us, stopping her from answering
"hey! Kaydence right?"
She nods.
"good good, I'm David Duchovny we spoke on the phone?" She shakes his big hand
"yes! Just on Tuesday"
he nods "ah yes, so there's a few more things I'd like to clarify about the job, if you wouldn't mind?"

He motions for her to come with him
"oh yeah of course!" He takes her up one of the staircases, and I watch them disappear. I sigh and decide to explore some more. She mentioned some David guy a few days ago, he's the reason we're here tonight actually, he's offered her an acting job on a show I think.

I walk down hallways and find cool rooms, One even has a cat in it. I decide to make my way back to the main entrance in case Kaydence is back yet. To my disappointment, she's not. I look around and spot a clock on the wall "7:01" it reads. We have about half an hour left before we have to leave. I'm hoping she's done soon, I hate sitting alone.

I decide to go up the same staircase I saw David lead her, hopefully there's more hallways to explore so I can kill time. Once I reach the top I walk all the way down to the left of me, looking at each room, careful for voices.

It's kind of like walking through a hotel. One side is rooms, while the other is one long extensive window. The lights have a yellow tint, making the red carpet under my feet look even grosser then it already looks.

After my slow walk, and hearing no voices I see another stair well. This one is smaller though, much smaller. I follow it up, and end up on the last floor. Theres a door on one side of me, and I decide to open it. It reveals a beautiful night sky,
(since where we live the sun sets at literally 6.) but I see someone else standing on this balcony. I catch a short petite women, with orange hair, in a skin tight dress.

I quickly get embarrassed and go to shut the door, when she says
"stay."
I stop, and try to figure out if I actually heard that or not.
"Come here." so I did hear it right. I walk onto the small balcony, and close the door.
"Where are you from?" The woman asks me.

"Around here" I reply "my friend got asked to be here, so she brought me" I take a long look at the houses below "what about you?"
She takes a slow breath "I'm from London"
I nod, saying "far." playing with my finger nails
"yeah, I'm just here to film though"

I like her voice, is that weird?
"Oh are you part of that show? With a guy named David D something?" The woman chuckles "yup, is your friend Kaydence?" I can smell the cigarette smoke from her breath "yeah, she said David offered her an acting job"

"Mhm we needed a backup, and a possible small character for one episode" after a long, but somehow not awkward pause, she says "your friend should probably be done her interview by now" I decide to take her word for it, and turn around to face the door. As I grab the handle, I turn around.
"Wait I never got your name" she stays facing the city "you'll know it soon enough." I give the door handle a confused look, that's a weird answer but whatever.

I walk all the way back down to the entrance, to see Kaydence standing there. Once she sees me, we head back to her car. As she talks about how David was so nice, how he gave her the job, and that she'll be paid well, all I can think about is that women.

Why didn't I look at her face? We went through a whole conversation and I didn't look at her face. What the fuck is wrong with me. I try to tune back into what Kaydence is telling me, but it's hard. Her orange hair, and skin tight dress are almost imprinted in my mind for some reason.

"You good?" She asks. I snap out of it "yeah, yeah keep going" I just stare blankly at the road all the way home.