fifteen - bryson

SANDRA GETS OFF the phone and makes her way back to me.

"So, my parents and I will help Dylan organise the funeral back in New Haven." She weakly says. "I'll be leaving tomorrow."

"How long will you be gone?" I look away as I ask, an attempt to hide the sadness already overwhelming me knowing that she'll be gone for a while.

"I don't know." She looks down at her feet, avoiding my eyes. "A week or two. Going home right now is about more than just the funeral. I just need some time off after..." She waves her hands around. "...all this."

I sigh and nod in understanding. "I'll miss you."

She lifts her eyes to me. "Me too."

Reaching for me, her soft hands lace into mine as she leads me out of the waiting area.

"I still can't believe she's gone." She says lowly, almost as if she's talking to herself. "She and Dylan made moving to this country so much easier. Thanks to them, I almost didn't miss Manchester too much. And she was so healthy, and...happy. It's just-" She lets go of my hand to run it through her hair. "It doesn't make any sense."

"I know." I say. "Look at me."

Her usually bright green eyes that are now dulled with sadness look up at mine hesitantly and I tell her, "It will never make sense. But it will get better, I promise. It will take some time of course, but it will get better. Soon it won't be so hard to get out of bed in the morning, or to fall asleep. And if you need to cry, please do. Shout if you must." She chuckles at that. "Do whatever you need to do. Go through the motions. All of them. And I'm here for you. Call me or, come see me if you need someone to talk to. I might not always know what to say, but I will listen. And I'll make you your favourite food, and take you to your favourite places and cuddle with you. I'll even go through another Ryan Reynolds marathon with you."

Sandra laughs lightly before planting a quick kiss on my lips. "You're so sweet."

"I love you too."