thirty one - kiana

THE ONLY EMOTION I expected to feel on this day was anger. It's the only emotion I would have allowed myself to feel...hell, it's the only right way to feel.

But right now, as I look into my mother's eyes, I feel a whole lot of nothing other than complete and utter confusion. Where in the world is the anger? I'm supposed to be angry.

Dammit Kiana, get angry!

"Hear what mom?" My question comes out as a whisper.

"I'm a free woman baby!"

"You escaped?" That's the only logical explanation I can come up with.

My mom laughs hysterically before saying, "I could never. They let me out."

They let her out? Why would they do that? They're not supposed to do that.

"They let me out on good behaviour. My parole hearing was last week." She explains, but her voice is distant in my head, like an echo.

Good behaviour.

I wasn't supposed to see her for another two years. I was nowhere near being ready enough to face her after everything.

This cannot be happening. She's not supposed to be here.

I must be dreaming.

Yes! I'm dreaming! I am dreaming! This is just another big crazy, strange dream that I'm going to wake up from anytime now.

Wake up Kiana, wake up.

"Ki?" I hear Nia's voice from beside me, trying to shake me out of my trance.

Yes, that's it Nia, wake me the fuck up from this nightmare. Please.

"Ki, look at me." I hear Nia's voice again.

I try to look at her but my vision is blurry, and my head feels heavy. And it feels like I am in that car again.

"Breathe Kiana, breathe!" She coos, and I think her hands are holding my face.

Why is she telling me to breathe?

"Kiana slow your breathing!" I hear another voice, Noah's I think. And just like that night, everything goes black.