fifty five - bryson's indelible past

"Thank you." I say to the waitress as she hands me my to-go coffee; two spoons of sugar, a decaffed espresso, just how I like it.

I get up from the table, coffee in hand and start walking towards the exit, ready to start my day.

I feel my phone vibrate against my skin and reach my hand into my pocket for it.

Mason: I'm ditching class today. Write good notes for me to copy.

I roll my eyes at the text and just as I'm about to put my phone back in my pocket, choosing not to respond to the text, I bump into something, well...rather, someone, and I immediately feel something hot burn my fingers.

I look up to see a girl, eyes wide open, jaw about to hit the ground looking down at her white shirt which I just spilled coffee on. And then I notice it's the girl from the football game a few days back.

Oh God!

"I...I am so sorry." I say placing my coffee cup on a table near me. "Shit." I mummer underneath my breath.

I grab the tissues on the table and I'm about to start cleaning her top but pause, asking for her permission by staring at her.

I can't help but be mesmerised by her big green eyes, the cute light freckles on her nose, along with the beautiful long blonde hair that falls over her shoulders perfectly. She is gorgeous, and I just ruined her white shirt! WHITE!

I picked the wrong day to be a damn clumsy fool!

She looks like she's about to snap, her face slowly turning red but she seems to collect herself quite fast and smiles apologetically at me.

Why is she the one smiling apologetically? I should be the one doing that, not her.

"I'm so sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going and I'll clean your shirt, uh...top." I rant picking one tissue from the bunch I just picked from the table a few seconds ago.

"No, it's fine. There's a store next door, I'll just buy a new top because the stain won't come off right now. I can't go about with my day with a huge brown stain on my top." I'm reminded how thick her British accent is when she speaks.

"No, I'll buy you a new top. I made the mess, so I'll clean it up." I say feeling guilty for ruining a nice girl's day.

"No really, it's fine." She smiles at me. "It's my fault too, I wasn't looking where I was going either."

"I'm still buying you a new top." I push as she takes the tissues from my hands.

"I can afford to buy myself a top." She says dabbing at her top with tissues.

"I'm all for you being an independent woman, I really am...but there's no way I am going to let you spend money because of me. I'm buying you a new top." I say watching her as she puts the tissues in a dustbin next to us. "Please." I'm sure to add.

She sighs but smiles. "Okay, fine...if you insist. But I get to pick which one."

"Great." I smile. "Let's go."