twenty six - kiana

LATER THAT NIGHT, I wake up breathless from a dream that felt all too real. Looking around, I let out a sigh of relief when I realise that I am not at Wyatt's house.

Trying my hardest to push the thoughts of that night away, I lie back down half hoping to fall back asleep and half hoping I don't because I could land right back in that dream.

And just as I start to feel another wave of sleep coming in, I hear an all too familiar voice.

"Bad dream?"

I jolt back up and spot my dad sitting on a chair across my bed. He's facing me, the crooked smile I know all too well.

"Dad?" My lips tremble as I speak into the dark, heart beating out of its cage.

He stands up from the chair and begins to make his way towards me. And with every step he takes, I find myself moving further back into the headboard, almost as if it can absorb me.

"Don't be scared Kiana." He coos as he edges closer to me and I edge closer to being one with the headboard.

I'm about to let out a terrified scream when I bolt up into a sitting position.

It was just a dream? It was just a dream...

I don't think it was just a dream.

I lie back down, seal my eyes shut and start humming a familiar tune. I hum louder, as if my dad will speak up any moment now and the song will drown him out. Make him disappear.

I allow myself to think back to when Nana used to sing Kayla and I Aretha Franklin's Bridge Over Troubled Water. It's what I'm humming. She told us to listen to it whenever things ever got bad, to remind us that we will be okay. But I mostly just listen to it because it makes me feel like they're still both here.

"When you're down and out. When you're on the street. When evening falls so hard. I will comfort you. I'll take your part. Oh when darkness comes. And pain is all, is all around. Just like a bridge over troubled water. I will lay me down." Nana's powerful voice rings in my head as she sings to Kay and I.

The chair doesn't exist. And my dad isn't here. It was just a dream.

***

The video I put at the top is the lyric video to the beautiful song referenced in this chapter.