Chapter Twenty Nine: Murders

Two in one month??? Look at me go!  Enjoy! XDee

----------------------------------------------------

Sophie

The door opened and I was shoved outside. When I got up, the car was already gone. I still had some semblance of control over my mind, but even that was being taken over quickly by his powers. Whose? I'm still not 100% sure. But I'm determined to find out.

I could almost hear his voice in my head as he began to control my body. Without warning, I was suddenly no longer in control. All that I knew was to complete the objective. I walked towards the door of the mansion ahead of me. Surprisingly, the doors were unlocked. I guess you don't really need to, with all the dangerous people that lived here.

My leg cramped, and I let out a small cry. That alerted what must have been 'the night watch' of the house; two small children. I blacked out for a minute, before coming to again, this time at the top of a staircase.

"Sophie?" Bethany's groggy voice came from the stairwell. She held the hand of a young girl, both in their pj's.

'Damn,' I thought. I had to rethink my tactic. "Yes?"

"What are you doing here? It's the middle of the night!"

"Yeah, well, I was feeling guilty and I wanted to apologize."

"Really?" her shoulders relaxed.

"Yeah," I shrugged. I even kicked the ground for added cute points.

She grinned. "I knew you'd come around. Wanna see something cool?"

"Do I?!" I feigned interest.

"While you were gone we've all managed to upgrade our powers a bit. I'm sure yours aren't quite as refined as ours might be, so-"

"I'm sorry, did you just say that I don't know how to use my powers?" I interrupted.

Bethany rushed to explain. "No, I mean that we've had more time to train than you, so you might be a little less... not as strong as us."

I frowned. "I'm not strong?"

"No, that's not what I mean."

"Oh, so you mean you're better than me?"

"No-"

"That you're more 'in tune' with your 'powers' than I am?"

"Okay, that's what I said, but that's not really what-"

My muscles relaxed and I turned to shadow form. Only this time, instead of floating around like I normally do, I managed to infiltrate Bethany's body. Shadows were everywhere, especially in the corners of a human's mind. I found hers and hid in there for a minute, soaking up her worst moments and darkest fears. She was screaming externally. When I felt she'd had enough, I exited her body and stared at her as she fell to the floor. Others had come running from their rooms to investigate now gathered around her.

"What did you do to her?" someone shouted. Others ran to grab an adult. Now was the time for me to grab what I came for and get out of here.

"Why are you talking about? I thought she was asleep?" I mocked.

"What did you do to her?" The professor asked. He rounded the corner, his usual posse of X-Men following him.

"Now you're beginning to sound like a broken record."

As they moved to form a circle around Bethany and me, I raised my hands in a fighting pose. That made them pause. Again, the Professor spoke.

"What are you doing here, Miss Stark? What is your purpose?"